Northern Ireland Screen
Northern Ireland Screen (Irish: Scáileáin Thuaisceart Éireann) is the national screen agency for Northern Ireland. The agency's purpose is to promote the development of a sustainable film, animation and television production industry.
Logo of Northern Ireland Screen
|Type||Non-departmental public body|
|Headquarters||Belfast, Northern Ireland|
Northern Ireland Screen was established as the Northern Ireland Film Council in 1989, subsequently the Northern Ireland Film & Television Commission (1997).
The agency is funded jointly by the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure, Invest Northern Ireland and the UK Film Council. The Arts Council of Northern Ireland have delegated the administration of Lottery funding for film in Northern Ireland to Northern Ireland Screen.
Northern Ireland Screen is responsible for the £12 million Irish Language Broadcast Fund. The funds purpose is to provide for an increase in Irish-language broadcasting in Northern Ireland by the BBC and TG4.
The Paint Hall
"The Paint Hall" is a historic building in Titanic Quarter, Belfast. It was once the main Harland and Wolff painting hall and includes a large indoor space. Now a film studio, originally created by film producer Jo Gilbert, it was the location for the filming of Spike Milligan's Puckoon in 2000. The building is currently on licence to Northern Ireland Screen, who have plans to offer it rent free to film makers. The Paint Hall was the location of the City of Ember in the 2008 film of the same name. Starting in 2010 it was used as the main studio for the HBO fantasy series Game of Thrones, which debuted in April 2011.
- About Us > Overview Northern Ireland Screen website, URL accessed 24 November 2008
- Irish Language Broadcast Fund Department for Culture, Arts and Leisure website, URL accessed 24 November 2008
- Northern Ireland Screen. "Film Festivals & Cultural Cinema". Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "UK Broadcast News: Paint Hall Studios Launched". www.4rfv.co.uk. 13 December 2000. Retrieved 16 April 2018.
- Film Facility at Titanic Quarter: The Paint Hall, Titanic Quarter Development website. Accessed December 2008.
- "Robbins' role in City of Ember". BBC. 14 July 2007. Retrieved 20 July 2007.