North East Fife (UK Parliament constituency)
|North East Fife|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of North East Fife in Scotland
|Major settlements||Cupar, Leuchars|
|Member of Parliament||Wendy Chamberlain (Liberal Democrats)|
|Created from||East Fife|
|European Parliament constituency||Scotland|
At the 2017 general election, two votes separated Stephen Gethins of the SNP and Elizabeth Riches of the Lib Dems out of 41,822 ballots cast. The seat accordingly became the most marginal nationwide in the United Kingdom.
1983–2005: North East Fife District.
2005–present: The area of the Fife Council other than those parts in the constituencies of Dunfermline and West Fife, Glenrothes, and Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath.
North East Fife constituency is in the region of Fife in Scotland. Fife has the River Tay on its northern coast, and the Firth of Forth to the south. The famous golf and university town of St Andrews is the major settlement in the seat. Others include Cupar, Newport-on-Tay, Newburgh, Auchtermuchty, and Anstruther.
Members of Parliament
|2019||Wendy Chamberlain||Liberal Democrats|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrats||Wendy Chamberlain||19,763||43.1||+10.2|
|Liberal Democrats gain from SNP||Swing||+1.5|
North East Fife was the most marginal result in the country at the 2017 general election, with incumbent SNP MP Stephen Gethins seeing his majority cut from 4,344 votes (9.6%) to 2 votes (0.004%) ahead of the Liberal Democrat candidate. An alike result in Winchester at the 1997 general election was adjudicated and declared void and resulted in a legislative change in party naming rules.
|Liberal Democrats||Elizabeth Riches||13,741||32.9||+1.5|
|Independent Sovereign Democratic Britain||Mike Scott-Hayward||224||0.5||N/A|
|Liberal Democrats||Tim Brett||14,179||31.3||−13.0|
|Scottish Green||Andrew Collins||1,387||3.1||N/A|
|SNP gain from Liberal Democrats||Swing||+19.9|
|Liberal Democrats||Menzies Campbell||17,763||44.3||−7.8|
|Liberal Democrats hold||Swing||−5.0|
Elections in the 2000s
In 2005 the ward of Leven East was incorporated into this constituency from what was Central Fife.
|Liberal Democrats||Menzies Campbell||20,088||52.1||N/A|
|Scottish Green||James Park||1,071||2.8||N/A|
|Scottish Socialist||Jack Ferguson||416||1.1||N/A|
|Liberal Democrats win (new boundaries)|
|Liberal Democrats||Menzies Campbell||17,926||51.7||+0.5|
|Scottish Socialist||Keith White||610||1.8||N/A|
|Legalise Cannabis||Leslie Von Goetz||420||1.2||N/A|
|Liberal Democrats hold||Swing||+1.7|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrats||Menzies Campbell||21,432||51.2||+4.8|
|Liberal Democrats hold||Swing||+8.4|
|Liberal Democrats||Menzies Campbell||19,430||46.4||+1.6|
|Scottish Green||Tim Flynn||294||0.7|
|Liberal Democrats hold||Swing||+2.1|
Elections in the 1980s
|Labour||Anthony Michael Edward Gannon||2,947||7.4||+0.9|
|SNP||Francis David Roche||2,616||6.6||0.0|
|Liberal gain from Conservative||Swing||4.8|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
- Preceded by East Fife
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "F"
- "General Election 12 December 2019". Fife Council. Fife Council. Retrieved 16 November 2019.
- "Fife North East parliamentary constituency - Election 2019". Retrieved 2019-12-15.
- "General election 2017: SNP wins Fife North East seat by just two votes". BBC. 2017-06-09. Retrieved 2017-06-15.
- "The full list of the Labour Party's general election candidates in Scotland". LabourList. 2017-05-02. Retrieved 2017-05-09.
North East Fife – Rosalind Garton
- "SNP confirms Stephen Gethins to stand as Westminster candidate". Fife Herald. Johnston Press. 2017-05-04. Retrieved 2017-05-09.
Stephen Gethins has been confirmed as the SNP candidate for North East Fife, aiming to return as its MP two years after first being elected.
- "Tony Miklinski for North East Fife". North East Fife Conservative and Unionist Association. 2017-05-08. Retrieved 2017-05-09.
Tony Miklinski is the Scottish Conservative & Unionist candidate for North East Fife in the General Election.
- "Elizabeth Riches selected to fight North East Fife". Liberal Democrat Voice. 2017-04-28. Retrieved 2017-05-09.
Former Fife Councillor and Depute Council Leader Elizabeth Riches has been selected to fight North East Fife.
- "UK parliamentary election statement of persons nominated and notice of poll for the constituencies of Dunfermline and West Fife; Glenrothes; Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath; and North-East Fife" (PDF). Fife Council. 2017-05-08. Retrieved 2017-05-12.
The following persons have been and now stand nominated for election as a Member to serve in the UK Parliament for the above constituencies:
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Fife Council, Elections (7 July 2014). "Elections - The Scottish Independence Referendum Results 2014". www.fifedirect.org.uk.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.