North Devon Journal
The newspaper was established in 1824 by Lex Scott, a local bookseller. It cost 7d. until 1836, when the price was reduced to 4d. For a short time in 1870 the paper was published daily, with a second edition to provide news of the Franco-Prussian War. That year there was competition with the establishment of the liberal North Devon Herald. Both papers survived until 1941, when they merged as the North Devon Journal Herald. In 1986 the paper changed from broadsheet to tabloid format, and became the North Devon Journal again.
5,914 issues of the North Devon Journal, from between 1824 and 1950, are available to read in digitised form at the British Newspaper Archive.
- Digitised copies of the North Devon Journal at the British Newspaper Archive
- Daily Mail sells regional newspapers to Local World BBC News, 21 November 2012