Norman Anil Kumar Browne
Air Chief Marshal Norman Anil Kumar Browne, PVSM, AVSM, VM, ADC also known as "Charlie" Browne, is a former Chief of the Air Staff (CAS) of the Indian Air Force. He served in this position from 31 July 2011 to 31 Dec 2013. Air Chief Marshal Browne served as India's Ambassador to Norway from August 2014 to April 2016.
N A K Browne
Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne
|Birth name||Norman Anil Kumar Browne|
|Born||15 December 1951|
|Years of service||1972-2013|
|Commands held||Western Air Command|
|Children||Squadron Leader Omar Browne(Son) Alisha Browne(Daughter)|
Browne was brought up in Allahabad and did his early schooling from St. Joseph's College, Allahabad. He is married to Mrs. Kiran Browne. Together, they have a son, Omar, who serves as a fighter pilot in the IAF; and a daughter, Alisha, who is working with a multinational company.
Air Chief Marshal Browne is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy and also trained with the United Kingdom's Royal Air Force on Jaguar aircraft before commanding a Jaguar Squadron. A graduate of Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, USA, he has held many appointments including Joint Director at Air War Strategy Cell at Air Headquarters, Chief Operations Officer and Air Officer Commanding of a Sukhoi Su-30 base, Air-I at Western Air Command and Assistant Chief of Air Staff (Intelligence) at Air Headquarters. Browne was commissioned into the fighter stream of the IAF on 24 June 1972.
As a fighter pilot, he has logged over 3,100 hours flying Hunters, Jaguars, MiG 21s and Su-30MKIs, and has served as an instructor at the Tactics and Combat Development Establishment (TACDE) and Defence Services Staff College (DSSC), Wellington.
Air Chief Marshal Browne became Vice Chief of the Air Staff until 31 July 2011, when he replaced outgoing Air Chief Marshal Pradeep Vasant Naik. Prior to taking over as the Vice chief of the Air Staff in January 2011, he served as the AOC-in-C of Western Air Command, IAF's most vital operational command. Upon the retirement of Admiral Nirmal Kumar Verma, Browne became the new Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee. Charlie Browne was later replaced by Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha.
- Ambassador's Profile
- Air Chief Marshal (Retd.) N.A.K. Browne appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Norway
- "Debraj Pradhan appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Norway".
- "Air Marshal N.A.K Browne To Be The New IAF Boss".
- "vNorman Anil Kumar Browne". Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- "Air Chief Marshal Norman Anil Kumar Browne".
- PTI (20 May 2011). "N.A.K. Browne next Air Chief". The Hindu (online newspaper). The Hindu group. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- "air marshal browne to be next IAF chief".
- "Browne new Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee". Zeenews.com. 31 August 2012. Retrieved 24 December 2012.
- "Air Marshal Arup Raha to replace Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne as the new Indian Air Force chief".
- "Former IAF chief NAK Browne to be India's Ambassador to Norway". NDTV. Press Trust of India. 30 April 2014. Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- "Debraj Pradhan appointed as Ambassador of India to Norway".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Norman Anil Kumar Browne.|
Nirmal Kumar Verma
| Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee
September 2012 – December 2013
Pradeep Vasant Naik
| Chief of the Air Staff (India)
July 2011 – December 2013