Norman "Norm" Johnstone (16 January 1927 – 7 June 2013) was an Australian rules footballer who played his entire 228 game career with the Fitzroy in the (then) VFL. He was a ruckman, but was capable of kicking goals when pushed into forward line.
|Date of birth||16 January 1927|
|Date of death||7 June 2013 86)(aged|
|Original team(s)||Chelsea Seagulls|
|Height||183 cm (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||92 kg (203 lb)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 1957.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Recruited from the Chelsea Seagulls Football Club, Norm Johnstone played his first game for Fitzroy as a 17-year-old. Heftily built at 183 cm and 92 kg, he was nevertheless extremely pacy and was not frightened of using his weight. Johnstone was considered by his peers as a very tough footballer, not afraid to use his physical strength when needed.
Always a reliable player, he won Fitzroy's best and fairest award in 1947, and was a VFL interstate representative in 1948. He played for most of his career as a ruckman, while his career tally of 195 goals attested to the fact that he was always dangerous when resting in the forward lines. His season's total of 32 goals in 1955 was good enough for him to lead Fitzroy's goal kicking list. Johnstone played in three finals games; in 1947 and 1952.
Johnstone was a supporter of the 1997 merger of Fitzroy and the Brisbane Bears and has continued to support the Brisbane Lions since the merger. He is the grandfather of former Brisbane Lions/Melbourne Demons footballer, Travis Johnstone.
- On 3 May 2001, Johnstone was named in Fitzroy's Team of the Century, as a follower.
- In 2007, the Brisbane Lions recognised Johnstone as one of the ten greatest Lions players from the era 1927 to 1956.
- "Vale Norm Johnstone". Brisbane Lions.
- AFL Stats (2008). Fitzroy Players: Norm Johnstone. Retrieved on 12 July 2008.
- Full Points Footy (2008). Norman Johnstone (Fitzroy). Retrieved on 12 July 2008
- Chelsea Seagulls (2008). VFL/AFL Players. Retrieved on 13 July 2008.
- Fitzroy Football Club (2008). Fitzroy Team of the Century Nominees Archived 27 March 2009 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on 13 July 2008.
- AFL Stats (2008). Fitzroy Players. Retrieved on 13 July 2008.
- Fox, Marc (2007). Sportal. Senior Lions impress Johnstone. Retrieved on 13 July 2008.
- Herald Sun (2007). Johnstone happy to celebrate Lions heritage. Retrieved on 11 July 2008.
- Clark, Laine (2007). Real Footy. Former Demon now breathing fire for Lions. Retrieved on 13 July 2008.
- Footy Stamps (2006). Fitzroy's Team of the Century. Retrieved on 12 July 2008.
- Brisbane Lions (2007). Our Kings of the Pride Archived 6 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on 13 July 2008.
- AFL Stats (2008). Brownlow Medal Winners. Retrieved on 4 May 2008.
- Brisbane Lions (2008). Fitzroy Football Club Honour Board 1897-1996 Archived 10 May 2008 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on 4 May 2008.