Norgate shopping centre
Norgate was the first shopping mall in Canada. The first covered mall, the Park Royal Shopping Centre, was built a year later in 1950 in West Vancouver. Norgate was built by the developer Maxwell Cummings. It is believed that the mall was financed and owned by the Lupovich family of Montreal. The late Moe and Sam Lupovich were successful owners of the Ideal Dress Company in Montreal. They were leaders in Canada's garment industry. The mall continues to be owned by the family to this day.
On 10 March 2008, the anchor tenant, Provigo supermarket, suffered a partial roof collapse due to the weight of snow from the intense snowfall occurring from 8 March through 10 March.
The Shopping Centre
The shopping centre is L-shaped, fronting the street at the bottom of the L and its related short-side. The back and front of the L open onto parking lots. The mall was designed by architect Max Kalman.
Norgate is located between Décarie Boulevard and Saint-Germain Street as well as between rue Rochon and Côte-Vertu Boulevard fr:Boulevard de la Côte-Vertu. The bottom of the L coincides with rue Rochon, the short side of the bottom and the long leg of the L correspond with Décarie. The long part of the L sits in the middle of the parking lot, with loading docks along the back, and parking spaces all around, running parallel to Decarie. De la Côte-Vertu Boulevard
- Montreal Gazette (Canada.com): Architect of everyday life celebrates 100th birthday, PEGGY CURRAN, Wednesday, May 31, 2006
- Saint-Laurent, Ville de Montréal: Norgate Shopping Centre (accessed 2008-01-01)
- Ville de Saint-Laurent Archives, p289, Norgate (accessed 2008-01-01)
- NewMallUnique: Strip Malls (accessed 2008-01-01)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Centre Norgate.|
- Cote Vertu station (The map is dated January 2007 and see reference 2. for current location of bus stops)