The Nordwolle or more correctly the Nordwolle museum or the Nordwestdeutsche Museum für IndustrieKultur is situated in and around the engine house of the former Norddeutsche Wollkämmerei & Kammgarnspinnerei in Delmenhorst. Nordwolle was a dominant company that processed wool and worsted, it closed between 1981 and 1984. The building and the factory housing is listed as a Denkmalschutz The museum is an Anchor point on the European Route of Industrial Heritage.
In 1884 Christian Lahusen, a textile manufacturer from Bremen set up the Norddeutsche Wollkämmerei & Kammgarnspinnerei (North German Wool Combing and Worsted Spinning Mill) next to the railway line in Delmenhorst, which brought wool from Bremen docks. The family business expanded into a major concern producing a quarter of all the world's rough yarn and employed almost 4,500 workers in the complex. Labour came from Eastern Europe. Between 1885 and 1905 the population of Delmenhorst tripled causing a chronic lack of housing. The firm responded by building ever more company housing on the “Nordwolle” site.
Under his son, Carl Lahusen and his English born wife Armine Matthias , the factory town provided cooperative stores, canteens and baths, a hospital , a kindergarten and a library. The world slump and mismanagement bankrupted Lahusen's firm in 1931: though it continued in a smaller scale until 1981.
- Armine Matthias was the daughter of a pastor who had lived in English mill towns and experienced patriarchal housing such as provided at the Houldsworth Model Village
- "Nordwolle museum". European Route of Industrial Heritage. 2014. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- Frese, Frauke; Peter Frese (2014). "Fabrikmuseum - Familie Lahusen" (in German). Arbeitkreis Fabrikmuseum. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- Frese, Frauke; Peter Frese (2014). "Fabrikmuseum - Das Wollekrankenhaus" (in German). Arbeitkreis Fabrikmuseum. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nordwolle in Delmenhorst.|
- Nordwolle Website
- com.media veranstaltungscentrum in adjoining building
- Fotostrecke des Weser-Kurier zum Museum
- Familie Lahusen
- Arbeitskreis Fabrikmuseum
- Nordwolle Delmenhorst Kulturportal Nordwest
- Spiegel magazine: "Der Untergang der Norddeutschen Wollkämmerei und Kammgarnspinnerei 1931 bis 1933" The bankruptcy
- Documents and clippings about Nordwolle in the 20th Century Press Archives of the ZBW