Nobuo Kishi at the CTBT Regional Conference in Jakarta, 2014.
|Member of the House of Representatives|
|Assumed office |
12 December 2012
|Constituency||Yamaguchi 2nd district|
|Member of the House of Councillors|
26 July 2004 – 30 November 2012
岸信夫 (Kishi Nobuo)
1 April 1959
|Political party||Liberal Democratic|
|Alma mater||Keio University|
A political dynasty
Nobuo is the younger brother, grandson, and grandnephew of Prime Ministers:
- Shinzō Abe is his elder brother, but Nobuo was adopted into his maternal parents' family soon after birth.
- Nobusuke Kishi was his grandfather: during WWII, he served as Minister of Munition and was called the Shōwa era monster (昭和の妖怪 Shōwa no yōkai). Nobusuke was jailed as a "Class A" war crimes suspect, but never tried.
- Eisaku Satō, Nobusuke's brother, also became a Prime Minister.
Shintaro Abe is his father. Nobuo is the third son, the other one being Hironobu Abe, who works at Mitsubishi Corporation.
His other grandfather, Hiroshi Abe, was also a politician.
A native of Tokyo, Kishi joined Sumitomo Corporation after graduating from the Faculty of Economics at Keio University in 1981. He left the company in 2002, after working in the United States, Vietnam, Australia...
Kishi was elected for the first time in 2004, and served as Parliamentary Secretary for Defense (Fukuda and Aso Cabinet), Vice Chairman, LDP Diet Affairs Committee in the House of Councillors, Vice Chairman, Party Organization and Campaign Headquarters of LDP, Chairman, Special Committee on Okinawa and Northern Problems of Diet.
- Nippon Kaigi Diet discussion group (日本会議国会議員懇談会 - Nippon kaigi kokkai giin kondankai)
- Conference of parliamentarians on the Shinto Association of Spiritual Leadership (神道政治連盟国会議員懇談会) - NB: SAS a.k.a. Sinseiren, Shinto Political League, Shinto Seiji Renmei Kokkai Giin Kondankai
- Japan Rebirth (創生「日本」- Sosei Nippon)
- in favor of the revision of the Constitution
- in favor of right of collective self-defense (revision of Article 9)
- against the reform of the National assembly (unicameral instead of bicameral)
- in favor of reactivating nuclear power plants
- against the goal of zero nuclear power by 2030s
- in favor of the relocation of Marine Corps Air Station Futenma (Okinawa)
- against the evaluation of the purchase of Senkaku Islands by the Government
- in favor of a strong attitude versus China
- against the participation of Japan to the Trans-Pacific Partnership
- in favor of considering a nuclear-armed Japan in the future
- against the reform of the Imperial Household that would allow women to retain their Imperial status even after marriage
- Cultural attitudes spell few adoptions December 30, 2006 Retrieved February 21, 2015
- Profile of Kishi Nobuo on LDP website: jimin.jp/english/profile/members/114678.html (retrieved Dec 2, 2014)
- Nippon Kaigi website
- Mainichi 2012: senkyo.mainichi.jp/46shu/kaihyo_area_meikan.html?mid=A35002003003
- Official website in Japanese.
|House of Councillors|
| Councillor for Yamaguchi's At-large district
2004 – present