Noak Hill was a ward in the ancient parish of Hornchurch. By the 16th century it had come under the control of the Romford vestry and was included in the newly created Romford civil parish in 1849. From 1895 Noak Hill became a separate civil parish and had its own parish council until 1934.
Noak Hill is situated on hilly terrain in the far northeastern edge of Greater London with the M25 motorway being the boundary. The village consists of various period homes, many of which are listed buildings, a 19th-century church and scattered farms. It is located immediately north of the post-war estate of Harold Hill and east of Havering-atte-Bower.
- Reaney, P.H. (1960). The Origin of English Place-Names. Routledge and Kegan Paul. p. 37.