No. 548 Squadron RAF
|No. 548 Squadron RAF|
|Active||15 Dec 1943 – 31 Oct 1945|
|Squadron Codes||TS (Apr 1944 – Oct 1945)|
The squadron was formed at Lawnton, near Brisbane, Queensland, Australia on 15 December 1943 to provide air defence duties with Spitfires, as the RAAF Kittyhawks were inadequate for interception missions. It was first formed under the command of Dave Glaser. The first months were spent training with Wirraways and de Havilland Tiger Moths, but in April 1944 the squadrons Spitfire's arrived. The squadron was made up of RAF Aircrew and RAAF Groundstaff. On 15 June 1944 the squadron moved initially to Livingstone Airfield and Strauss Airfield in the Northern Territory of Australia. The squadron was then relocated in October 1944 to Parap Airfield in Darwin, Northern Territory.
Only two operations were undertaken by the squadron before the Japanese surrender. A sweep was conducted over Selaru Island, 300 miles north of Darwin, on 5 September 1944 and the airfield at Cape Chater, Timor was attacked on 3 June 1945. The squadron was disbanded according to some sources at Parap Airfield (Darwin/Civil), Northern Territory on 9 October 1945 -but a more recent source states 31 October at Melbourne, Victoria- and the RAF personnel returned to the United Kingdom.
|December 1943||April 1944||CAC Wirraway||For training|
|December 1943||April 1944||de Havilland Tiger Moth||For training|
|April 1944||October 1945||Supermarine Spitfire||Mk.VIII||Tropicalised|
|15 December 1943||19 January 1944||Lawnton Airfield, Queensland|
|19 January 1944||25 May 1944||Petrie Airfield, Strathpine, Queensland|
|25 May 1944||15 June 1944||RAAF Base Amberley, Queensland||Det. at RAAF Base Townsville, Queensland|
|15 June 1944||22 October 1944||Livingstone Airfield, Northern Territory||Dets. at Strauss Airfield, Northern Territory|
and at Truscott Airfield, Western Australia
|22 October 1944||23 September 1945||Parap Airfield (Darwin/Civil), Darwin, Northern Territory||Det. at Truscott Airfield, Western Australia|
|23 September 1945||31 October 1945||RAAF Base Melbourne (No. 1 PD), Victoria|
|January 1944||July 1944||S/Ldr. W.H.A. Wright|
|July 1944||February 1945||S/Ldr. R.A. Watts|
|February 1945||October 1945||S/Ldr. E.D. Glaser|
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937–56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Delve, Ken. The Source Book of the RAF. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1994. ISBN 1-85310-451-5.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth 1918–1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, C.G. RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1988 (second edition 2001). ISBN 1-85310-053-6.
- Rawlings, John D.R. Fighter Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Macdonald & Jane's (Publishers) Ltd., 1969 (2nd edition 1976, reprinted 1978). ISBN 0-354-01028-X.