Nivio Ziviani, a Brazilian researcher born in the city of Belo Horizonte on August 27, 1946, holds a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Federal University of Minas Gerais, 1971, a master's degree in Informatics from the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro, 1976, and a Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from the University of Waterloo, 1982. As a researcher, he is known for his projects in Information Retrieval and Recommendation Systems. In 2011, he received the Scientific Merit Award from the Brazilian Computer Society. Ziviani has Erdös number 2. Currently, he is an emeritus professor in the Computer Science department of the Federal University of Minas Gerais, is a member of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences, he is part of the National Order of Scientific Merit in the Commendator class, and coordinates the Laboratory for Treating Information (LATIN).
|Alma mater||University of Waterloo|
Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro
Federal University of Minas Gerais
|Known for||Akwan Information Technologies|
|Doctoral advisor||Gaston Gonnet|
Among his contributions, he produced three books:
- Projeto de Algoritmos Com implementações em Pascal e em C (Cengage Learning, ISBN 9788522110506, Third Edition, 2010) (in Portuguese).
- Diseño de Algoritmos com implementaciones en Pascal y C(Thomson Learning, ISBN 978-84-9732-538-7, 2007) (in Spanish, translated from the Portuguese version).
- Projeto de Algoritmos Com implementações em Java e C++ (Thomson Learning, ISBN 85-221-0525-1, Second Edition, 2007) (in Portuguese).
Created one of the firsts search engines for the web and fomented the development of companies through his scientific production with respect to Recommendation Systems. He was co-founder of the Miner Technology Group in 1998, which was acquired by Grupo Folha de S.Paulo / UOL in 1999, and Akwan Information Technologies in 2000, bought by Google in 2005. With Akwan, Google started its R & D Center in Latin America located in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. Among his most recent activities, he was co-founder of a start-up called Kunumi, co-founder of the Information Retrieval Research Group at the Federal University of Minas Gerais, General Co-Chair of the 28th ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, co-founder and member of the Steering Committee of the International Conference on String Processing and Information Retrieval.
- "Nivio Ziviani at Mathematics Genealogy Project", Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Nivio Ziviani recebe título de Professor Emérito da UFMG - Notícias da UFMG". UFMG.
- "Professor da UFMG recebe prêmio de mérito científico da Sociedade Brasileira de Computação", Estado de Minas, 2011
- List of people with Erdos number 2
- A practical minimal perfect hashing method
- "Nivio Ziviani at the Brazilian Academy of Sciences", Brazilian Academy of Sciences
- "Nivio Ziviani at Ministry of Science and Technology (Brazil)", Ministry of Science and Technology (Brazil)
- A pequena Kunumi vai brigar contra o Google, 2017
- Projeto de Algoritmos Com implementações em Pascal e em C
- Diseño de Algoritmos com implementaciones en Pascal y C
- Projeto de Algoritmos Com implementações em Java e C++
- "Google compra empresa brasileira de busca", Universo Online, 2005
- Google monta base em Minas Gerais
- "28th SIGIR", Special Interest Group on Information Retrieval
- SPIRE 2012