Nissequogue, New York
Nissequogue, New York
|Village of Nissequogue|
U.S. Census Map
Location within the state of New York
|Coordinates: 40°53′55″N 73°11′41″W|
|• Total||4.0 sq mi (10.3 km2)|
|• Land||3.8 sq mi (9.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||85 ft (26 m)|
|• Density||440/sq mi (170/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0958622|
The village of Nissequogue is located in the town of Smithtown. It is within the postal boundaries of the St. James, New York, but it is not part of St. James. It became an incorporated village in 1926.
The current mayor of the village is a descendant and a namesake of the first English settler of the village, Richard Smith (Smythe).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 4.0 square miles (10 km2), of which 3.8 square miles (9.8 km2) is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2), or 5.04%, is water.
Nissequogue is known for its preservation of the natural Long Island landscape. Its unique scenery is facilitated by a 2 acre minimum on property divisions and a ban on industry real estate throughout the village's boundaries.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,543 people, 533 households, and 455 families residing in the village. The population density was 408.9 people per square mile (158.0/km²). There were 570 housing units at an average density of 151.1 per square mile (58.4/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 97.34% White, 0.13% African American, 0.97% Asian, and 1.56% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.92% of the population.
There were 533 households out of which 36.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 79.2% were married couples living together, 4.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 14.6% were non-families. 12.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.89 and the average family size was 3.15.
In the village, the population was spread out with 25.6% under the age of 18, 4.4% from 18 to 24, 25.3% from 25 to 44, 32.9% from 45 to 64, and 11.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females, there were 106.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.7 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $140,786, and the median income for a family was $157,973. Males had a median income of $100,000 versus $69,167 for females. The per capita income for the village was $63,148. About 1.1% of families and 2.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under age 18 and 2.7% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Population in the U.S. -Google Public Data Explorer". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved May 29, 2019.
- "Village of Nissequogue". Suffolk County Village Officials Association. Retrieved August 23, 2010.
- "Village of Nissequogue, NY: Size and area requirements". Village of Nissequogue, NY Code. Retrieved 2019-05-29.
- "Village of Nissequogue, NY: Limitations". Village of Nissequogue, NY Code. Retrieved 2019-05-29.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on April 26, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.