The Nightcap Range is a mountain range located in the Northern Rivers region of New South Wales, Australia. The range is a spur off the Great Dividing Range and extends generally southeast from Mount Burrell for about 25 kilometres (16 mi) to Peates Mountain.
Southern elevation of The Nightcap Range in northern New South Wales; left: Mount Burrell (part); centre: Mount Neville; right: Mount Nardi
|Elevation||933 m (3,061 ft) AHD|
|Length||25 km (16 mi) SE|
|State||New South Wales|
|Range coordinates||28°33′S 153°20′E|
|Parent range||Great Dividing Range|
The highest peak in the range is Mount Burrell at 933 metres (3,061 ft) above sea level. Other major peaks are Mount Neville at 919 metres (3,015 ft), Mount Nardi at 812 metres (2,664 ft), Mount Matheson at 804 metres (2,638 ft), and Peates Mountain at 604 metres (1,982 ft).
The summit of Mount Nardi is the site for several transmission towers which are used for FM radio, digital television and formerly, analogue TV and fixed wireless broadband internet transmissions, as well as some mobile phone services. The summit can be reached by a bitumen road via Nimbin which cost £32,000 to construct in tandem with the first tower in 1962 (the tower itself costing only £10,000) and is the starting point for several walking tracks including the Historic Nightcap walking track, which once was the principal route taken by travellers and postal workers between Lismore and Murwillumbah.
The range contains the Nightcap National Park and forms part of the catchment for Rocky Creek Dam which is located to the north of Lismore, and provides the drinking water supply for a large portion of the Northern Rivers area.
- "The Nightcap Range". The Hamlet of Rosebank. Retrieved 10 May 2015.
- "Mount Burrell". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 10 May 2015.
- "Nightcap Range". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 10 May 2015.
- "Mount Nardi FM transmitter info". fmscan.org. Retrieved 4 August 2019.
- "Mt Nardi Digital TV Broadcast Site". ozdigitaltv.com. Retrieved 4 August 2019.
- "Offline: Northern Rivers telco Linknet powers down Mt Nardi service". ABC North Coast NSW. 9 December 2014. Retrieved 4 August 2019.
- trove.nla.gov.au: The Australian Women's Weekly (1933 - 1982) Wed 16 May 1962 Page 4: Country men solved problem that beat world experts
- Visit NSW: Historic Nightcap Walking Track
- "Map of Nightcap Range, NSW". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 10 May 2015.