Niger Coast Protectorate

The Niger Coast Protectorate was a British protectorate in the Oil Rivers area of present-day Nigeria, originally established as the Oil Rivers Protectorate in 1884 and confirmed at the Berlin Conference the following year. It was renamed on 12 May 1893, and merged with the chartered territories of the Royal Niger Company on 1 January 1900 to form the Southern Nigeria Protectorate.

Oil Rivers Protectorate
(1884–1893)
Niger Coast Protectorate
(1893–1900)

1884–1900
Flag
Coat of arms
Anthem: God Save the Queen
StatusProtectorate of the United Kingdom
CapitalOld Calabar
Common languagesEnglish and various local languages
Religion
Christianity, Igbo religion, Islam, African traditional religion
GovernmentColonial administration
Monarch 
 1884—1900
Victoria
Historical eraNew Imperialism
 Established
1884
 Disestablished
1 January 1900
CurrencyPound sterling
Succeeded by
Southern Nigeria Protectorate

References

    This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.