Newcastle Transport is a transport company in Newcastle, New South Wales, working under Transport for NSW. It commenced operating the bus and ferry services formerly operated by Newcastle Buses & Ferries on 1 July 2017 under a ten-year contract. It also commenced operating the Newcastle Light Rail when it opened in February 2019. Train services are operated by sister company NSW TrainLink which is likewise a subsidiary of Transport for NSW.
|Owner||Transport for NSW|
|Transit type||Bus, ferry, light rail|
|Began operation||1 July 2017|
|Number of vehicles||189 buses, 2 ferries|
In November 2015, the Government of New South Wales announced its intention to contract out the operation of Newcastle Buses & Ferries services to the private sector. Keolis Downer and a Transit Systems/UGL Rail consortium announced their intentions to bid. In December 2016, a ten-year contract was awarded to Keolis Downer effective from 1 July 2017.
In January 2018, the bus route network was completely redesigned with the number of routes reduced from 27 to 21.
Light rail services
On Demand bus service
- Building tomorrows Newcastle: A New Approach to Transport Transport NSW 5 November 2015
- Transport for Newcastle: private operator to integrate city’s public transport ABC News 5 November 2015
- Keolis Downer eyes acquisitions ahead of Newcastle public transport bid Sydney Morning Herald 3 December 2015
- Transit Systems and UGL announce intention to jointly bid for Newcastle iso Transit Systems 26 February 2016
- Keolis Downer awarded contract to run light rail, buses and ferries says Baird government Newcastle Herald 12 December 2016
- Keolis Downer awarded Newcastle Transport Contract Keolis Downer 12 December 2016
- Newcastle timetables to change Transport for New South Wales 1 December 2017
- Transport changes Newcastle Transport
- Newcastle Transport Australian Bus Fleet Lists
- It's a date - free community open day for Newcastle Light Rail on 17 February Transport for NSW 31 January 2019
- Light rail in Newcastle opening from Monday 18 February Transport for NSW 3 February 2019
- "Newcastle Transport Launches on Demand Service". Newcastle Transport. 29 November 2017.
- "Newcastle Transport On Demand Information". Newcastle Transport. 18 February 2019.