Newbridge is a village within the parish of Kirkliston, to the west of Edinburgh, Scotland. It originally lay on the western edge of the county of Midlothian; however, local government reforms in the late 20th century placed it within the jurisdiction of the City of Edinburgh Council.
Newbridge from the air
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||EH28 8|
Newbridge (including Ratho Station) had a total population of 1,074 at the 2011 Census based on the 2010 definition of the locality.
Newbridge has an industrial estate, two car dealerships, a Royal Bank of Scotland branch, a pub with a large beer garden (the Newbridge Inn, founded in 1683), a bowling club, a McDonald's restaurant, a petrol station, a Premier Inn (with Thyme restaurant), a cafe and a fish and chip shop. There is a Scotmid nearby at Ratho Station. Larger supermarkets can be found in Broxburn. A doctor's surgery and a chemist are located in Ratho.
The Newbridge roundabout was built in 1970 as a flat roundabout serving the M8 Edinburgh to Glasgow motorway, the M9 Edinburgh to Stirling motorway, the A8 and the A89. One of the busiest roundabouts in Scotland, traffic congestion became intolerable and it was converted to a grade-separated roundabout interchange in 1997, becoming Junction 1 of the M9. The A8 (dual carriageway to Maybury junction only) runs from the Newbridge Roundabout into Edinburgh City Centre. The A89 road runs from Newbridge roundabout to Broxburn.
Newbridge is served by several bus services
- 20 (Edinburgh - Broxburn - Dechmont - Bathgate)
- 24 (Deans - Eliburn - Livingston - Pumpherston - Broxburn - Edinburgh)
- 25 (Blackridge - Armadale - Bathgate - Deans - Livingston - Broxburn - Edinburgh)
- N25 (Deans - Broxburn - Corstorphine - Edinburgh *Night Service*)
- 38 (Stirling - Plean - Larbert - Falkirk - Linlithgow - Kirkliston - Edinburgh)
- 600 (Whitburn - Livingston - Broxburn - Winchburgh - Kirkliston - Edinburgh Airport)
- X17 (Fauldhouse - Loganlea - West Calder - Livingston - Broxburn - Edinburgh)
- X18 ( Whitburn - Armadale - Bathgate - Dechmomt - Broxburn - Edinburgh)
- 275 (Whitburn - Seafield - Livingston - Pumpherston - Broxburn - Gyle Centre - Hermiston Gait)
- EX1 (Bathgate - Boghall - M8 - Gogarburn - Edinburgh “The Exchange”)
- EX2 (Linlithgow - Springfield - M9 - Gogarburn - Edinburgh “The Exchange)
- 20 (Slateford - Kingsknowe - Wester Hailes - Edinburgh Park - Ratho Station - Ratho)
- 63 (Riccarton - Sighthill - Gyle Centre - Newbridge - Kirkliston - Queensferry)
- X51 (Dunfermline Bus Station, Forth Road Bridge, Queensferry, Kirkliston, Livingston, Harthill, Glasgow Bus Station)
Newbridge is about a mile from Edinburgh Airport's Terminal Building, However, the runway ends just before the M9 motorway and planes often fly low over Newbridge.
Newbridge will be the western terminus of Tram Line 2
Newbridge shares Hillwood Primary School with Ratho Station. Newbridge is in the catchment area for Craigmount High School.
- "Ratho Station (City of Edinburgh)". Retrieved 21 June 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Newbridge, Edinburgh.|