New York Red Bulls II
The New York Red Bulls II are an American professional soccer team based in Harrison, New Jersey. They are the reserve team of the New York Red Bulls and play in the USL Championship, the second tier in the American soccer pyramid.
|Founded||January 21, 2015|
|Stadium||MSU Soccer Park at Pittser Field|
|Owner||Red Bull GmbH|
|Sporting Director||Denis Hamlett|
|Head coach||John Wolyniec|
|2019||6th, Eastern Conference|
Playoffs: Conference Quarterfinals
Red Bull New York II were founded on January 21, 2015, when the New York Red Bulls acquired the rights to start a USL club. Red Bulls II competes in the second tier of American soccer and serves as a reserve side for the first team as well as a developmental stage for young prospects and academy players. The club follows in the footsteps of many MLS clubs who created USL sides to help promote youth development throughout the nation.
It was announced on March 2, 2015, that former MetroStars and Red Bulls player, John Wolyniec would be the club's new head coach. Wolyniec previously served as an assistant coach to the senior team and the academy. Former Red Bulls defender, Ibrahim Sekagya will also serve on his coaching staff.
On March 19, 2015, the soccer club announced the signing of their first-ever player, and former academy standout, Tyler Adams. Following their first signing, the club's first roster consisted of senior team players who were loaned down, draft picks, academy players and local trialists. A week later, on March 28, the club played in their inaugural match, drawing 0-0 against the Rochester Rhinos. Senior team loanee, Anatole Abang scored the club's first ever goal in a 4-1 victory against Toronto FC II, marking the first victory in club history.
A New York Red Bulls team composed mostly of NYRB II players defeated Chelsea F.C. in a friendly on July 22, 2015.
After spending the majority of the 2015 and 2016 season playing at Red Bull Arena, the club announced on May 10, 2016 that their new home field would be at Montclair State University's MSU Soccer Park at Pittser Field starting in 2017.
The club won their first ever trophy on September 7, 2016 claiming the Regular Season Title (the equivalent of the Supporters' Shield) 4-1 victory at Harrisburg City Islanders. On October 23, Red Bulls II won their first USL Cup after a 5-1 victory against Swope Park Rangers at Red Bull Arena.
- As of October 30, 2019
|Season||USL Championship||Play-offs||U.S. Open Cup||Top Scorer|
|2015||28||12||10||6||46||45||42||4th (East)||Conference Semifinals||2R||6|
|2016||30||21||3||6||61||21||69||1st (East)*||USL Cup Champion||Not eligible
(MLS Reserve Team)
|2017||32||13||14||5||57||60||44||7th (East)||Conference Final||13|
|2018||34||13||8||13||71||59||52||5th (East)||Conference Final||10|
|2019||34||17||11||6||74||51||57||6th (East)||Conference Quarterfinal||15|
* Regular season title winners
- As of the 2016 season, MLS reserve sides are not allowed to compete in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
Head coach record
- As of November 4, 2016
- Includes USL Regular season, USL Play-offs and U.S. Lamar Hunt Open Cup
|John Wolyniec||February 14, 2015||present||102||55||30||17||53.92|
- As of June 24, 2017
Bold signifies current Red Bulls II player
- As of November 4, 2017
Bold signifies current Red Bulls II player
- "Red Bulls announce USL Pro team". New York Red Bulls. Retrieved January 21, 2015.
- "FINAL LOOK BACK: The Inaugural New York Red Bulls II season". RedBullsAcademy.com.
- "Red Bulls name John Wolyniec head coach of NYRB II". RedBullsAcademy.com.
- "Red Bulls II sign Academy product Tyler Adams". newyorkredbulls.com. Retrieved March 19, 2015.
- "New York Red Bulls II announce roster ahead of inaugural game". newyorkredbulls.com. Retrieved March 19, 2015.
- "MATCH RECAP: Red Bulls II 0, Rochester Rhinos, 0". newyorkredbulls.com. Retrieved March 19, 2015.
- "MATCH RECAP: Red Bulls II 4, Toronto FC II 1". newyorkredbulls.com. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- "New York Red Bulls stun Premier League champs Chelsea – ESPN FC". ESPNFC.com. July 22, 2015. Retrieved August 23, 2017.
- "New York Red Bulls II Make Montclair State University Home; Remainder of 2016 USL Schedule to be played at Red Bull Arena". newyorkredbulls.com. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- "New York Red Bulls II clinch 2016 USL Regular Season Championship". NewYorkRedBulls.com.
- "Red Bulls II Claim USL Regular Season Championship". USLSoccer.com.
- "Allen's Hat Trick Leads Red Bulls II to USL Cup". USLSoccer.com.
- "NYRBII Players". New York Red Bulls. Retrieved February 28, 2019.