New York Empire (AUDL)
The New York Empire is an ultimate team in the American Ultimate Disc League based in New York City. The team is in the East Division of the league, and won its first AUDL title in 2019. The Empire played its first season in 2013.
|League||American Ultimate Disc League|
|Based in||New York City, New York|
|Stadium||Joseph F. Fosina Field|
|Owner||NY Empire AUDL, LLC|
|Head coach||Bryan Jones|
At the beginning of the Empire's history in late 2012, the team almost did not come to fruition, as part-owner Cullen Shaw almost took his Ultimate ownership interest to Major League Ultimate because of a pending AUDL lawsuit against the Connecticut Constitution and Rhode Island Rampage. However, Shaw kept with the AUDL and the Empire because of lower ownership costs and more abilities as a team owner. The Empire's first tryout, in January 2013, attracted 60 players, more than other teams holding initial tryouts. The MLU did eventually create a New York franchise, the New York Rumble, and the Empire became the first AUDL team to have a player play for an AUDL and MLU team in the same year when Isaac Saul joined the Empire in 2014 after the conclusion of the Rumble season that same year.
After the 2017 season, Barbara Stevens, mother of then-Empire player Matthew Stevens, became majority owner of the team. Before the 2018 season, the Empire signed Beau Kittredge and Marques Brownlee, and before 2019, the Empire signed Jack Williams and Grant Lindsley. These signings, combined with existing talent like Jeff Babbitt and Ben Jagt, combined to create a team that some called the strongest in the league since the 2016 iteration of the Dallas Roughnecks. The Empire then proceeded to go 12-0 in the regular season after close calls with Raleigh and DC, and went 3-0 in the playoffs to win the 2019 championship and become the only the third team in league history to finish a season undefeated.
The Empire formerly played its home games at MCU Park in the borough of Brooklyn, with some contests being played on Randall's Island. Before the 2018 season, the Empire moved to Joseph F. Fosina Field in New Rochelle, citing a lack of locker rooms and concessions at Randall's Island as well as better proximity to major thoroughways.
|2013||11-5 (2nd in East)||1-1||Lost in Semifinals|
|2014||10-4 (2nd in East)||1-1||Lost in Semifinals|
|2015||11-3 (2nd in East)||1-1||Lost in divisional final|
|2016||7-5 (3rd in East)||Did not make playoffs|
|2017||6-8 (4th in East)||Did not make playoffs|
|2018||8-6 (3rd in East)||2-1||Lost in semifinals|
|2019||12-0 (1st in East)||3-0||Won championship|
- Ruffner, Adam. "Empire Stay Undefeated, Win First Title". American Ultimate Disc League. Retrieved 12 August 2019.
- Eisenhood, Charlie. "New York AUDL Franchise Pushing Forward After Nearly Leaving League". Ultiworld. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- Eisenhood, Charlie. "Pro League Update: Combines, Graham, & Kondracki". Ultiworld. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- Eisenhood, Charlie. "NY Rumble's Isaac Saul To Join AUDL's Empire After MLU Season". Ultiworld. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- Kroeker, Jo. "Greenwich family puts its all into up-and-coming sport". Greenwich Time. Retrieved 12 August 2019.
- Ruffner, Adam. "New Empire in 2019". American Ultimate Disc League. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- "MCU Park to Host the New York Empire". Brooklyn Cyclones. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- Tantillo, Nicholas. "New York Empire, state's only pro Ultimate Disc League team, relocates to New Rochelle". The Journal News. Retrieved 12 August 2019.
| American Ultimate Disc League champion