New Mountain Learning
New Mountain Learning, LLC was a privately held publishing company founded in 2012 and headquartered in St. Paul, Minnesota. The company published educational textbooks and software, including supplements and assessment tools for PreK-12, post-secondary, workforce development, and religious education fields.
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||St. Paul, Minnesota|
|Key people||Eric Cantor (Chairman and CEO)|
Peter Esposito (Group President)
Mick Demakos (CDO)
|Publication types||books, magazines|
|Imprints||EMC Publishing, Paradigm Publishing, JIST Publishing|
In 2018, New Mountain Learning was acquired by private equity firm CIP Capital from The Wicks Group, who had acquired and merged the New Mountain divisions. Later in 2018, CIP acquired Carnegie Learning and merged New Mountain into Carnegie.
New Mountain Learning consisted of five divisions:
EMC Publishing was founded in 1954, and develops and produces PreK-12 textbook programs in world languages, business education, literature and language arts, and social studies with supplementary and multimedia materials.
Paradigm Publishing specializes in post-secondary publishing, offering textbook programs in computer technology, health careers, biotechnology, accounting, business technology, distance learning, and career management with supplementary and multimedia materials.
JIST Publishing (Job Information, Seeking and Training), has award-winning materials on job-search, career exploration, occupational information, life skills, and character education. Founded by James Michael Farr in 1981 and acquired by EMC in 2007.
Applications and programming
- Standard Publishing, a publisher associated with the Christian churches and churches of Christ, founded in 1872 and acquired by Wicks Group in 2006 The majority of Standard Publishing was sold to David C. Cook in 2016; the magazines were sold to The Solomon Foundation in 2017.
- RCL Benziger, originated in Switzerland in 1792 by Joseph Charles Benziger. In July 2007 the Benziger name and product line was purchased from McGraw Hill by CFM Publishing and merged with Texas based Catholic publisher RCL - Resources For Christian Living (acquired at the same time) to form RCL Benziger. RCL Benziger was sold to Kendall Hunt Publishing in 2016.
Snap (stylized as "SNAP") consists of the following web-based training and assessment learning management software: Keyboarding Online Labs; Snap 2013 (for Microsoft Office 2013) Snap 2010 (for Microsoft Office 2010); Snap 2007 (for Microsoft Office 2007); and Snap 2003 (for Microsoft Office 2003).
EMC Languages is a language program scheduled for release in 2014. According to their website, it is "a dynamic learning environment designed to drive educator effectiveness and student fluency in K-12 and post-secondary world language classrooms." A collaboration with the University of Minnesota, students will use video platforms to demonstrate their skills through assessments and discussions via webcam.
Below is a selection of academic institutions that used New Mountain Learning materials:
- "Company Overview". businessweek.com. Retrieved May 22, 2013.
- "Company Overview". Business Week. Retrieved May 22, 2013.
- "Wicks Completes Sale of New Mountain Learning". Wicks Group. 2018-04-04. Retrieved 2019-03-25.
- "Carnegie Learning Gets a Makeover After Private Equity Investment - EdSurge News". EdSurge. 2018-09-06. Retrieved 2019-03-25.
- "Company Profile". Business Week. Retrieved May 22, 2012.
- "Company info page". EMC's website. June 18, 2012.
- "CourseSmart Expands Its Digital Offerings Through Nine Additional Publishers". PR Newswire. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "The JIST of It: Jobs: Career Advice Publisher Flourishing". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Announcing the Results of the First Annual Axiom Business Book Awards". Independent Publisher. Retrieved July 16, 2012.
- "Benjamin Franklin Award Winners and Finalists 2006". Independent Book Publishers Association. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "JIST Publishing Founder James Michael Farr Dies". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "EMC Corporation Announces Acquisition of JIST Publishing, Inc". PR Newswire. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Berkery, Noyes represents JIST Publishing, Inc. in its sale to EMC Corporation". Berkery, Noyes & Co. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "EMC Publishing, LLC Announces Acquisition of Lawrenceville Press, Inc". PR Newswire. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "EMC/Paradigm Publishing acquired Lawrenceville Press Inc". MandAsoft.com. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "THE WICKS GROUP OF COMPANIES, L.L.C. Forms New Mountain Learning". Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- "Learn About Our History". Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- "Catholic Encyclopedia: Joseph Charles Benziger". Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- "McGraw-Hill Education Sells Benziger Product Line To CFM Religion Publishing Group, LLC". Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- "CFM Religion Publishing Group acquires RCL and Benziger". Cincinnati Business Courier. July 27, 2007. Retrieved June 26, 2013.
- "Snap 2013 product page". Retrieved May 22, 2013.
- Coutré, Lydia (24 June 2013), "On campus beat: University of Minnesota, EMC team up to teach world languages", Star Tribune, Minneapolis, retrieved 25 June 2013
- "Discover. Expand. Perform". Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Course Outline" (PDF). faculty.ccp.edu. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "Course Outline". facultywp.ccri.edu. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "Required materials list". efollett. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "Snap 2007 application signup guide". kconline.kaskaskia.edu. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "Course outline" (PDF). kirkwood.edu. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "Syllabus". csit.parkland.edu. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "Software Requirements for Winter 2012". schoolcraft.edu. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "Publisher Contact Information". skylinecollege.edu. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "Booklist" (PDF). spencerian.edu. Retrieved July 27, 2012.