New Civil Engineer
New Civil Engineer is the monthly magazine for members of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), the UK chartered body that oversees the practice of civil engineering in the UK. First published in May 1972, it is today published by Metropolis. Under its previous publisher, Ascential, who, as Emap, acquired the title and editorial control from the ICE in 1995, the ICE regularly discussed the magazine's content through an editorial advisory board and a supervisory board.
Cover from February 2018
|First issue||May 1972|
Available in print and online after the appropriate subscription has been taken out (it is free for members of the ICE), the magazine is aimed at professionals in the civil engineering industry. It contains industry news and analysis, letters from subscribers, a directory of companies, with listings arranged by companies’ areas of work, and an appointments section. It also occasionally has details of university courses and graduate positions.
In 2013 it had a net circulation of more than 50,000 per issue. Two years later, this had dropped to 42,805, of which some 39,000 related to copies distributed to ICE members. Previously printed on a weekly basis the magazine switch to a monthly format in December 2015. New Civil Engineer was a co-founder of the British Construction Industry Awards.
In January 2017, Ascential announced its intention to sell 13 titles including New Civil Engineer; the 13 "heritage titles" were to be "hived off into a separate business while buyers are sought." The brands were purchased by Metropolis International Ltd (owner of the Property Week title since 2013) in a £23.5m cash deal, announced on 1 June 2017.
- "New Civil Engineer". British Water. Retrieved 22 October 2014.
- Oliver, Antony (9 January 2012). "Forty years of serving engineers". New Civil Engineer. Emap. Retrieved 22 October 2014.
- "New Civil Engineer (NCE)". Institution of Civil Engineers. ICE. Retrieved 22 October 2014.
- "Business magazines: circulation certificate: July 2012 to June 2013" (PDF). Audit Bureau of Circulations (UK). 18 September 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2014.
- "Business magazines: circulation certificate: July 2014 to June 2015" (PDF). Audit Bureau of Circulations (UK). 24 August 2015. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- Barney, Simon (8 December 2015). "New Civil Engineer launches new print and digital formats". Institution of Civil Engineers. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- Williams, Christopher (5 January 2017). "Ascential puts Drapers and Nursing Times up for sale in break with trade publishing". Telegraph. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Sweney, Mark (5 January 2017). "Ascential to sell Drapers and Nursing Times as it ditches 'heritage' brands". The Guardian. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "New owner rescues construction mags". The Construction Index. 1 June 2017. Retrieved 1 June 2017.