New Barnet War Memorial
The memorial was built in 1921 to commemorate the deaths in the First World War of the men of the former district of East Barnet Valley. It was designed by Newbury Abbot Trent ARA and unveiled by Viscount Hampden, commanding officer of the 1st Battalion the Hertfordshire Regiment during the war. It records the names of 277 men and one woman. The names of 136 men who died in the Second World War were subsequently added following a campaign by Catherine Loveday.
The memorial is surmounted by a bronze allegorical figure of "winged victory" holding a palm leaf on a globe atop an obelisk of Portland stone.
- Historic England. "New Barnet (East Barnet Valley) War Memorial (1418126)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 3 September 2016.
- WWII soldiers remembered but fight goes on to do more. Kim Inam, Barnet & Whetstone Press, 31 January 2011. Retrieved 3 September 2016.
Media related to New Barnet War Memorial at Wikimedia Commons