Neurotoxic shellfish poisoning
Neurotoxic shellfish poisoning is caused by the consumption of shellfish contaminated by breve-toxins or brevetoxin analogs.
|Neurotoxic shellfish poisoning|
Symptoms in humans include vomiting and nausea and a variety of neurological symptoms such as slurred speech. No fatalities have been reported but there are a number of cases which led to hospitalization.
- Landsberg, J. H. (2002). "The Effects of Harmful Algal Blooms on Aquatic Organisms". Reviews in Fisheries Science. 10 (2): 113–390. doi:10.1080/20026491051695.
- Watkins, S. M.; Reich, A.; Fleming, L. E.; Hammond, R. (2008). "Neurotoxic shellfish poisoning". Marine Drugs. 6 (3): 431–455. doi:10.3390/md20080021. PMC 2579735. PMID 19005578.