Castle of Nemours
Coat of arms
|Coordinates: 48°16′03″N 2°41′49″E|
|• Mayor (2017–2020)||Anne-Marie Marchand (LR)|
|10.83 km2 (4.18 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||57–133 m (187–436 ft) |
(avg. 62 m or 203 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Nemours is supposed to derive its name from the woods (nemora) in the midst of which it formerly stood, and discoveries of Gallo-Roman remains indicate its early origin. It was captured by the English in 1420, but derives its historical importance rather from the lordship, afterwards Duchy of Nemours, and the fief lords the Duke of Nemours to which it gave its name. In 1585 a treaty revoking previous concessions to the Protestants was concluded at Nemours between Catherine de' Medici and the Guises.
The church, which dates mainly from the sixteenth century, has a handsome wooden spire. The feudal castle, erected around 1120 was turned into a museum in the 20th century. It has a central keep with four rounded towers.
A statue of the mathematician Bézout (d. 1783), a native of the town, was erected in 1885.
In the vicinity is a group of fine sandstone rocks, and sand is extensively quarried.
Inhabitants are called Nemouriens.
Nemours was the birthplace of:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nemours.|
- Official site (in French)
- Nemours tourism office website
- 1999 Land Use, from IAURIF (Institute for Urban Planning and Development of the Paris-Île-de-France région) (in English)
- French Ministry of Culture list for Nemours (in French)
- Map of Nemours on Michelin (in English)