Nederlandse Publieke Omroep (organization)
The Nederlandse Publieke Omroep (often abbreviated to NPO, literally "Dutch Public Broadcaster") or Dutch Foundation for Public Broadcasting is a Dutch public broadcasting organisation that administers public broadcasting services in the Netherlands. The NPO is also the owner of the radio-spectrum licence and public DVB-T and DAB+ frequencies.
The Nederlandse Publieke Omroep logo
|Shula Rijxman (Chairman of the Board of Directors)|
Media Act 2008
- For further information see: "Mediawet 2008" in the Dutch Wikipedia.
According to Article 2.2 the Dutch Media Act of 2008, NPO was appointed as the governing organisation of the public broadcasting system of the Netherlands until 2020. At the head of the organisation there are two bodies: The Board of Directors that administers the whole public television and radio broadcasting system and the Supervisory Board.
Prior to the reorganisation in the 2000s, the Dutch public broadcasting system was managed by another public broadcasting organisation, Nederlandse Omroep Stichting (NOS).
On 18 May 2019 following the Netherlands' victory at the Eurovision Song Contest 2019, with Duncan Laurence's song "Arcade", the Netherlands and NPO (in collaboration with AVROTROS and NOS) will host the Eurovision Song Contest 2020 in Rotterdam.
The objectives of NPO are:
- Promoting cooperation and cohesion among national broadcasters
- Providing broadcasters with air time / space in the media
- Distributing the budget between broadcasters
- Providing distribution (sales) and subtitling support for broadcasters
- Conducting independent research on the quality and consumer image of radio, television, and web platforms
Representation in international organisations
NPO is an active member of the European Broadcasting Union.
In 2013, NPO became the winner of the Prix Europa award for the Best TV Fiction Script by a Newcomer (for the screenplay of the film The Deflowering of Eva Van End, written by Anne Barnhoorn in collaboration with NPO).
- Business Wire (2010-05-20). "Dutch Public Broadcasting Agency Selects Energy Efficient Data Storage by Inprove Powered By NexentaStor". Reuters (Reuters is not responsible for the content in this press release).
- "National Integrity System Assessment, Netherlands". Transparency International Netherlands (transparency.nl). Retrieved 2014-11-23.
The Dutch Foundation for Public Broadcasting (NPO) is the cooperation and coordination body for the implementation of the public media mission on a national level. The NPO is required to provide information to the Minister of OCW. Also, a report must be submitted annually.
- "Welke rol speelt de NPO als organisatie binnen het Nederlandse omroepbestel?" (in Dutch). NPO (PubliekeOmroep.nl). Archived from the original on 2013-04-05. Retrieved 2014-11-23.
- "Eurovision 2020 to be a co-production between Avrotros, NPO and NOS". EscXtra. 19 May 2019.
- "EBU - Active Members". European Broadcasting Union. Retrieved 2014-11-23.
- "Prix Europa: NPO netherlands wins EBU sponsored TV award". European Broadcasting Union. 2013-10-28. Retrieved 2014-11-23.