Navy Medical Service Corps

The United States Navy Medical Service Corps is a staff corps of the U.S. Navy, consisting of officers engaged in medical support duties. It includes healthcare scientists and researchers, comprising around 60% of its personnel, and healthcare administrators, comprising the remaining 40%.[9] Many of the latter are former enlisted hospital corpsmen, the Medical Service Corps Inservice Procurement Program (MSC-IPP) being one of several routes from enlisted service to commissioned status. The Medical Service Corps has around 2,600 serving commissioned officers.[10]

Navy Medical Service Corps
Seal of the United States Navy Medical Service Corps[1]
FoundedAugust 4, 1947 (1947-08-04)
Country United States of America
Branch United States Navy[2]
RoleMilitary medical support and research
Size2,600 officers (approximately)
WebsiteHomepage
Prior Chiefs / Directors, Medical Service Corps[3]
NamePhotoTerm
RADM Timothy H. Weber2019-Present[4]
RADM Anne M. Swap2015[5]-2019[6]
RADM Terry J. Moulton[7]2012-2015[5]
RADM Eleanor V. Valentin [8]2009-2012
RADM Michael Mittelman [8]2006-2009
CAPT Brian G. Brannman2004-2006
RADM J. Philip Van Landingham1999-2004
RADM H. Edward Phillips1995-1999
RADM S. Todd Fisher1993-1995
RADM Charles Loar1991-1993
RADM Donald Shuler1987-1991
RADM Lewis Angelo1982-1978
CAPT Paul Nelson1978-1982
CAPT William Green Jr.1976-1978
CAPT Albert Schwab1973-1976
CAPT Emmett VanLandingham1968-1973
CAPT Robert Hermann1962-1968
CAPT Leo J. Elsasser1958-1962
CAPT Willard C. Caukins1954-1958

Organization

The Navy Medical Service Corps was created on 4 August 1947 by act of the United States Congress. Originally it had four specialist sections: Supply and Administration, Optometry, Allied Sciences, and Pharmacy.[9] Currently the Navy Medical Service Corps has three sections: Healthcare Administration, Healthcare Sciences, and Clinical Care Providers.

Healthcare Sciences are subdivided into the following fields of specialty:[9]

Clinical Care Providers are subdivided into the following fields of specialty:[9]

See also

References

  1. "Navy Medical Service Corps" (PDF). Retrieved 2019-06-19.
  2. "Change Of Office And Retirement Ceremony for the Director, Medical Service Corps". 2004-01-16. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
  3. Kowitz, Regena (2019-08-12). "Navy's 19th Director of the Medical Service Corps Takes Charge with a Nod to the Past and Eyes on the Future". US Navy. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
  4. "Rear Adm. Terry Moulton, left and Capt. Anne Swap, right, cut the cake at the MSC change of office ceremony". US Navy. 2015-12-01. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
  5. "Biography, Rear Admiral Anne M. Swap". US Navy. Archived from the original on 2019-04-05. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
  6. "Medical Service Corps Receives New Corps Chief". US Navy. 2012-08-30. Archived from the original on 2019-04-05. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
  7. "Medical Service Corps Receives New Director". US Navy. 2009-10-08. Archived from the original on 2019-04-05. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
  8. The Medical Service Corps at navy.mil (view HTML)
  9. Medical Service Corps at navy.com
This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.