Navy Blues (1941 film)
Navy Blues is a 1941 American musical comedy film directed by Lloyd Bacon and written by Jerry Wald, Richard Macaulay, Arthur T. Horman and Sam Perrin. The film stars Ann Sheridan, Jack Oakie, Martha Raye, Jack Haley, Herbert Anderson, Jack Carson, Jackie Gleason and William T. Orr. The film was released by Warner Bros. on September 13, 1941.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Lloyd Bacon|
|Produced by||Jack Saper|
|Screenplay by||Jerry Wald|
Arthur T. Horman
|Story by||Arthur T. Horman|
William T. Orr
|Music by||Heinz Roemheld|
James Wong Howe
|Edited by||Rudi Fehr|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
Margie Jordan and her friend Lilibelle Bolton arrive in Honolulu, Hawaii, much to the surprise of Lillibelle's former husband, Powerhouse Bolton, a sailor who is behind on the alimony he owes her.
In need of money, Powerhouse and his shipmate Cake O'Hara come up with a scheme. Learning that the crew is about to include Homer Matthews, a marksman, they make bets with practically everybody aboard on how a shooting competition will turn out. They are then stunned when it turns out Homer's going home, his service hitch being up before the contest.
Although he misses the family farm, Homer falls in love with Margie and wants to marry her but Powerhouse and Cake fib to him that Margie's only interested in his shooting skill. Homer re-enlists, wins the contest and wins Margie, too, while Lilibelle grabs the prize money before Powerhouse can.
- Ann Sheridan as Marge Jordan
- Jack Oakie as Cake O'Hara
- Jack Haley as Powerhouse Bolton
- Herbert Anderson as Homer Matthews
- Martha Raye as Lilibelle Bolton
- Jack Carson as 'Buttons' Johnson
- Jackie Gleason as Tubby
- William T. Orr as Mac
- Richard Lane as 'Rocky' Anderson
- John Ridgely as Jersey
- Kay Aldridge as Navy Blues Sextette Member
- Georgia Carroll as Navy Blues Sextette Member
- Marguerite Chapman as Navy Blues Sextette Member
- Peggy Diggins as Navy Blues Sextette Member
- Leslie Brooks as Navy Blues Sextette Member
- Claire James as Navy Blues Sextette Member
- Warner Bros financial information in The William Shaefer Ledger. See Appendix 1, Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television, (1995) 15:sup1, 1-31 p 22 DOI: 10.1080/01439689508604551
- "Navy Blues (1941) - Overview". TCM.com. Retrieved 2015-04-20.
- Crowther, Bosley (1941-09-20). "Movie Review - - ' Navy Blues,' Warners Musical, Is Warped Into the Strand - 'General Suvorov' at the Stanley". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2015-04-20.