National Register of Historic Places listings in Menominee County, Michigan
This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Menominee County, Michigan.
This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places in Menominee County, Michigan, United States. Latitude and longitude coordinates are provided for many National Register properties and districts; these locations may be seen together in a map.
There are 11 properties and districts listed on the National Register in the county.
|Name on the Register||Image||Date listed||Location||City or town||Description|
|1||ALVIN CLARK (schooner)||May 16, 1974
|Mystery Ship Seaport, Lake Michigan
|Menominee||The Alvin Clark was an 1847 schooner that sank in Green Bay in 1864. It was salvaged in nearly pristine condition in 1969 and moored in Menominee. However, no plans were in place for proper preservation, and the Clark deteriorated rapidly. The ship and the adjacent seaport/museum were demolished completely in 1994 to make way for a parking lot.|
|2||Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad Station||April 22, 1982
|219 W. 4th Ave.
|Menominee||This single story depot, constructed in 1903, is substantially similar to the nearby depot at Marinette, Wisconsin. It was used as an interurban station, serving passenger trains between Menominee and Crivitz, Wisconsin, until 1914. From 1915 until 1927, the rail line offered both passenger and freight service, but the venture ultimately failed. The station was used as a freight stop until 1938, after which it was shuttered.|
|3||First Street Historic District||December 31, 1974
|Roughly bounded by the northern side of 10th Ave., 4th Ave., 2nd St., and Green Bay Shoreline
|Menominee||The First Street Historic District, also known as the Main Street Historic District or the Historic Waterfront Downtown, encompasses Menominee's commercial downtown area. The district contains over 40 commercial buildings and civic structures, as well as several private houses, spread over a 29 acres (12 ha) area. Most of these buildings date to Menominee's prosperous era which began around 1890, and are in substantially original condition or have only minor alterations.|
|4||Charles G. Janson Garage||September 2, 2010
|524 10th Ave.
|Menominee||The Charles G. Janson Garage is a two-story commercial building constructed of brick; it was originally constructed in 1915 for Charles G. Janson, a Ford auto dealer. An addition to the building was made in 1933.|
|5||Menominee County Courthouse||March 7, 1975
|10th Ave. between 8th and 10th Sts.
|Menominee||The Menominee County Courthouse is a three story Classical Revival building constructed of red brick, sitting on a rock-faced ashlar basement. It was constructed in 1874-75 from a design by Chicago architect G.P. Randall.|
|6||Menominee Pierhead Light Station||July 27, 2005
|Offshore end of Menominee Harbor N pier at mount of Menominee R
|Menominee||The Menominee Pier Light Station was established in 1877. The current structure is a distinctive red 34 feet (10 m) octagonal cast iron building which was first lit in 1927.|
|7||R. J. HACKETT (steamer)||May 21, 1992
|Green Bay||The R. J. Hackett was a steamer built in 1869 by shipbuilder Elihu M. Peck. When first launched, the ship's wide cross-section and long midships hold was an unconventional design, but the design's relative advantages in moving cargo through the inland lakes spawned many imitators. The Hackett is recognized as the very first Great Lakes freighter, a vessel type that has dominated Great Lakes shipping for over 100 years. In 1905, the Hackett caught fire and sank on Whaleback Shoal in Green Bay, 9.5 miles (15.3 km) southeast of the Cedar River. The wreck slipped slightly off the reef, and currently sits in 10 -14 feet of water.|
|8||Riverside Site||March 24, 1978
|Near Riverside Cemetery
|Menominee||The Riverside Site, also known as 20-ME-1, is an archaeological site consisting of what was once a village along with an associated cemetery. Artifacts found at the Riverside site included a mix of Old Copper and Red Ocher cultures, with some additional Woodland and Mississippian cultural elements. Radiocarbon dating of organic remains indicated dates ranging from 1090 BCE to 70 AD, with the majority of the artifacts dating from about 500 BCE to about 200 BCE.|
|9||St. John the Baptist Catholic Church||July 21, 1995
|904 11th Ave.
|Menominee||The St. John the Baptist parish in Menominee was the oldest religious organization on the Menominee River in Michigan. The current church, designed by architect and parish member Derrick Hubert, was built in 1921-22. The church was used by the parish until parish mergers in 1972. In 1976, the Menominee County Historical Society purchased the building, and it is now used as the society's Heritage Museum.|
|10||J. W. Wells State Park||February 25, 2002
|Cedarville Township||The park was established in 1925 through a donation by the children of John Walter Wells, a pioneer lumberman in the area and the mayor of Menominee for three terms beginning in 1893. Many of the park's buildings, landscaping and water and sewage systems were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s and 1940s.|
|11||Wisconsin Land and Lumber Company Office Building||July 26, 1991
|N5551 River St., Meyer Township
|Hermansville||This building was constructed as the headquarters for the Wisconsin Land & Lumber Company in 1882. It remained as the firm's headquarters until 1978, and in 1982 was repurposed as the IXL Historical Museum. It stands essentially as it was built in 1881-82. The museum is home to items from Hermansville's lumbering and hardwood flooring era.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Register of Historic Places in Menominee County, Michigan.|
- The latitude and longitude information provided in this table was derived originally from the National Register Information System, which has been found to be fairly accurate for about 99% of listings. Some locations in this table may have been corrected to current GPS standards.
- "National Register of Historic Places: Weekly List Actions". National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior. Retrieved on December 13, 2019.
- Numbers represent an ordering by significant words. Various colorings, defined here, differentiate National Historic Landmarks and historic districts from other NRHP buildings, structures, sites or objects.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. April 24, 2008.
- The eight-digit number below each date is the number assigned to each location in the National Register Information System database, which can be viewed by clicking the number.
- Andreas Jordahl Rhude. "The Mystery Ship -A Tragedy". Bob Spettl Land o' Lakes. Archived from the original on January 11, 2012. Retrieved February 24, 2012.
- Jon Paul Van Harpen (2006), Door Peninsula Shipwrecks, Arcadia Publishing, pp. 85–90, ISBN 0-7385-4014-5
- The location of the Riverside Site is given by the NRIS as "address restricted." However, the City of Menominee describes it as "near the Riverside Cemetery." (City of Menominee Master Plan for Land Use Review (PDF), City of Menominee, July 2010) Coordinates given are approximate.
- IXL Museum, Hermansville, Michigan