National Register of Historic Places listings in Barbour County, Alabama
This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Barbour County, Alabama.
This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places in Barbour County, Alabama, United States. Latitude and longitude coordinates are provided for many National Register properties and districts; these locations may be seen together in a Google map.
There are 19 properties and districts listed on the National Register in the county, including 1 National Historic Landmark.
|Name on the Register||Image||Date listed||Location||City or town||Description|
|1||Bray-Barron House||May 27, 1971
|N. Eufaula Ave.
|2||Cato House||May 27, 1971
|823 W. Barbour St.
|3||Henry D. Clayton House||December 8, 1976
|1 mile south of Clayton off State Route 30
|Clayton||Built around 1850, this was the home of Confederate General Henry D. Clayton, Sr., former President of the University of Alabama as well as his son Henry D. Clayton, Jr., a legislator, a judge and the author of the Clayton Antitrust Act of 1914.|
|4||Drewry-Mitchell-Moorer House||April 13, 1972
|640 N. Eufaula Ave.
|5||Fendall Hall||July 28, 1970
|6||Grace Episcopal Church||September 22, 1995
|Louisville St. south of Courthouse Sq.
|7||Kendall Manor||January 14, 1972
|534 W. Broad St.
|Eufaula||Also known as Kendall Manor Bed and Breakfast|
|8||Kiels-McNab House||January 21, 1982
|W. Washington St.
|9||Lore Historic District||December 12, 1973
|Bounded by Eufaula Ave. and Browder, Livingston, and Barbour Sts.; also roughly bounded by Browder St., Van Buren Ave., Washington St., and Sanford Ave.
|Eufaula||Second set of boundaries represents a boundary increase, the Seth Lore and Irwinton Historic District, listed on August 14, 1986 with ref#86001534|
|10||McNab Bank Building||June 24, 1971
|201 East Broad St.
|Eufaula||Now known as The Lewis Agency, the building dates back to the 1850s and is one of the oldest bank buildings in Alabama.|
|11||Miller-Martin Town House||December 16, 1974
|Clayton||Built in 1859 by John H. Miller, this Gothic Revival townhouse is noteworthy for its hand-painted murals on the entrance hall ceiling which depict the four seasons as well as other designs on the parlor and dining hall ceilings.|
|12||Petty-Roberts-Beatty House||January 21, 1974
|103 N. Midway
|Clayton||Octagon house built in 1861 by Benjamin Franklin Petty. One of only two antebellum octagonal houses built in Alabama and the only one to survive.|
|13||Sheppard Cottage||May 27, 1971
|504 E. Barbour St.
|Eufaula||Built in 1837, Sheppard Cottage is the oldest known residence in Eufaula. The cottage still has original wood mantels, fireplaces, and oak flooring.|
|14||Shorter Mansion||January 14, 1972
|340 N. Eufaula Ave.
|15||Governor Chauncy Sparks House||June 28, 1972
|257 West Broad St.
|Eufaula||The Sparks-Irby House was the home of the 44th Alabama Governor, Chauncey Sparks and his sister, Mrs. Louise Sparks Flewellen.|
|16||Spring Hill Methodist Church||February 16, 1996
|Southern side of County Road 89, approximately 750 feet west of its junction with County Road 49
|Spring Hill||Greek revival church built in 1841 by John Fletcher Comer, father of B. B. Comer.|
|17||The Tavern||October 6, 1970
|105 Riverside Dr.
|Eufaula||Originally built in the 1830s, The Tavern is Eufaula's oldest frame structure. During its history, it has been used as an Episcopal Church, a Confederate hospital, and as an inn where it accommodated Chattahoochee River travelers and the local gentry.|
|18||Wellborn||July 14, 1971
|630 East Broad St.
|Eufaula||Also known as the Dr. Levi Thomas House, this classic Greek Revival mansion, dated from 1839, was the first of its sort to be built in this area. It was moved to its present location from 134 Livingston Avenue. The facade and inside floor plan remain little changed. It currently serves as business offices.|
|19||Woodlane Plantation||March 29, 2006
|State Route 431, S.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Register of Historic Places in Barbour County, Alabama.|
- The latitude and longitude information provided in this table was derived originally from the National Register Information System, which has been found to be fairly accurate for about 99% of listings. Some locations in this table may have been corrected to current GPS standards.
- "National Register of Historic Places: Weekly List Actions". National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior. Retrieved on December 6, 2019.
- Numbers represent an ordering by significant words. Various colorings, defined here, differentiate National Historic Landmarks and historic districts from other NRHP buildings, structures, sites or objects.
- The eight-digit number below each date is the number assigned to each location in the National Register Information System database, which can be viewed by clicking the number.