New South Wales
Location in New South Wales
|• Density||1.42194/km2 (3.6828/sq mi)|
|Area||4,116.2 km2 (1,589.3 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Cr. Neville Kschenka (Independent)|
The present Narrandera Shire was formed on 1 January 1960 by an amalgamation of the previous Narrandera Municipality and part of the Yanko Shire. The first Narrandera Municipality was incorporated on 18 March 1885. Narrandera Shire is a large shire in the geographical centre of the Riverina, with over 1,500 kilometres (930 mi) of roads within its boundaries.
Current composition and election method
Narrandera Shire Council is composed of nine councillors elected proportionally as a single ward. All councillors are elected for a fixed four-year term of office. The mayor is elected by the councillors at the first meeting of the Council. The most recent election was held on 10 September 2016. The makeup of the Council is as follows:
|Independents and Unaligned||9|
Mayors of Narrandera Council (1885–1959)
|Robert Heatie Ferrier||1885|
|Henry Daniel Adams||1886|
|James Bowes||1889 (February–March)|
|John Fleming Willans (1st term)||1890-1893|
|John Fleming Willans (2nd term)||1894 (July)|
|Lewis S Abrahams||1897|
|Thomas Henry Elwin (1st term)||1898|
|Fred Allan Smith (1st term)||1899-1900|
|James Joseph Quirk||1901|
|Fred Allan Smith (2nd term)||1902-1903|
|Ebenezer C H Matthews (1st term)||1904-1906|
|Thomas Henry Elwin (2nd term)||1907-1913|
|James Charles Little||1914|
|Thomas Henry Elwin (3rd term)||1915-1916|
|Ebernezer C H Matthews (2nd term)||1916 (November)|
|John Anderson McPherson||1917-1919|
|Robert Henry Hankinson (1st term)||1920-1921|
|George Norman Dixon||1922-1923|
|Robert Henry Hankinson (2nd term)||1924|
|William H Harden||1924 (April), 1925|
|Robert Henry Hankinson (3rd term)||1926|
|Samuel Henry Barker||1927|
|Robert Henry Hankinson (4th term)||1928-1930|
|Frederick Thelwell Yeoman (1st term)||1930 (August), 1931|
|Thomas Henry Mancy||1932-1934|
|Frederick Thelwell Yeoman (2nd term)||1935|
|Frederick Thelwell Yeoman (3rd term)||1938|
|Ralph E R Skinner||1939|
|Francis Charles Garner (1st term)||1940|
|Thomas Gordon (1st term)||1941|
|Richard Eric Blamey||1942|
|Thomas Gordon (2nd term)||1943-1944|
|George F Hepburn||1945|
|William Joseph Gammage||1946|
|John Archer Lorimer||1947|
|Francis Charles Garner (2nd term)||1948-1950|
|Robert Henry Hankinson (5th term)||1951|
|William George Armstrong||1951 (June), 1959|
Mayors of Narrandera Shire (1960–present)
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Narrandera (A) (Local Government Area)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2017-18". Australian Bureau of Statistics. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 27 March 2019. Estimated resident population (ERP) at 30 June 2018.
- "Narrandera Regional Profile". Riverina Regional Development Board. Archived from the original on 20 July 2008. Retrieved 28 August 2008.
- "Kschenka New Mayor of Narrandera Shire". Narrandera Argus. 29 September 2016. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Narrandera Shire Council". Department of Local Government. Archived from the original on 6 September 2006. Retrieved 1 December 2006.
- "Profile of the electoral division of Farrer (NSW)". Australian Electoral Commission. 25 February 2016. Archived from the original on 8 July 2016. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- "Narrandera Shire Council: Roads". Narrandera Shire Council website. Archived from the original on 22 July 2016. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- "Narrandera Shire Council: Councillor Contest". NSW Local Council Elections 2016. NSW Electoral Commission. 20 September 2016. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Narrandera Shire Council honour boards
- Bill Gammage (1986). Narrandera Shire. Bill Gammage for the Narrandera Shire Council. p. 240.
- Bill Gammage (1986). Narrandera Shire. Bill Gammage for the Narrandera Shire Council. p. 241.