Nanuk Remotely Controlled Weapon Station
The Nanuk is a remote weapon station (RWS) used for light and medium calibre weapons which can be installed on any type of armoured vehicles or Brown water patrol vessel. It is designed by Rheinmetall Canada, in Quebec, Canada. The word Nanuk (ᓇᓄᖅ) means "Polar bear" in Inuktitut.
|Overhead Weapons Station (OWS)|
Nanuk RCWS on top LAVs.
|Type||Remote Weapon System|
|Place of origin||Canada|
|Used by||Canadian Forces|
|Designer||Rheinmetall Defence Canada|
|Manufacturer||Rheinmetall Defence Canada|
|Caliber||5.56mm, 7.62mm, 12.7mm, 25mm, 40mm|
The Nanuk is a remotely-controlled weapon station that can be integrated on various armoured vehicle platforms and used for different mission profiles. The Nanuk weapon station combines full stabilisation, long range day/night all-weather sights and a universal weapon cradle that integrates 5.56 mm, 7.62 mm and 12.7 mm weapons, and 40 mm automatic grenade launchers.
Several weapons can be mounted to the platform, such as:
- M2 12.7 mm heavy machine gun
- M240/MAG-58 7.62 mm machine gun
- M249 (Minimi) 5.56 mm machine gun
- MG 3 7.62 mm machine gun
- MG4 5.56 mm machine gun
- MK19 40 mm grenade launcher
- Heckler & Koch GMG 40 mm grenade launcher
- CRV7 70 mm folding-fin ground attack rocket
- FGM-148 Javelin anti-tank guided missile
- AGM-114 Hellfire anti-tank guided missile
"All Polar Bears Have a Bite – the Nanuk Weapons Station". Canadian American Strategic Review. Archived from the original on 2016-10-07. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
The Nanuk is a Canadian design distinct from other Rheinmetall RCWS models.
- "Nanuk medium-weight weapon station". Rheinmetall Canada. Archived from the original on 2008-06-13. Retrieved 2016-09-30.