Nanjing Medical University
Nanjing Medical University (NMU; Chinese: 南京医科大学) is a university in Nanjing, Jiangsu Province, China. It was established in 1934 in Zhenjiang, but subsequently relocated to Nanjing in 1957. The university has two main campuses: Wutai and Jiangning, both of which have international student apartments.
|More than 1470 registered faculty members, 117 full professors and|
175 associate professors, 185 supervisors of doctoral programs and 812 supervisors of master's programs
In 2014, Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked it between 401-500 in the world and 26-32 in China. It was one of the first universities to offer an English taught Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) program, as approved by the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China (MOE).
The National Jiangsu Medical College was founded in 1934 and was renamed the Nanjing Medical College in 1957 when it moved to Nanjing. It was among the first medical universities in China to offer six-year programs in 1962. In 1981 it was approved to offer master's and doctoral degree programs. It was renamed Nanjing Medical University in 1993 and is now among the top Chinese medical universities.
There are two campus locations, the Jiangning District campus and the downtown Wutai campus. Undergraduate programs are held at the Jiangning District campus. The Wutai campus is the center for postgraduate education and scientific research.
The school offers bachelor's, master's, and Ph.D degree and post-doctoral research programs. Its facilities consists of an independent school, Kangda College, and 16 secondary schools. Most of the schools are for the study of medicine, public health, or other medical care fields including: the School of Basic Medical Sciences, First School of Clinical Medicine, Second School of Clinical Medicine, Third School of Clinical Medicine, Fourth School of Clinical Medicine, Gulou School of Clinical Medicine, School of Public Health, School of Stomatology, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Nursing, and School of Medical Policy and Management. Other schools are the College of International Studies, School of Continuing Education, School of Higher Vocational and Technical Education, and School of International Education. NMU is affiliated with more than 40 teaching hospitals and more than 20 affiliated hospitals in China.
NMU has more than 1,400 registered faculty members, including 117 full professors and 175 associate professors. There are 812 supervisors of the master's program and 185 supervisors of the doctoral programs. The University states that it has "one academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, one Chang Jiang Scholar Distinguished Visiting Professor, two recruited global experts from the National “Thousand Talent” Program, six winners of the China National Funds for Distinguished Young Scientists, one winner of the National Award for Distinguished Teachers, five winners of the funds from New Century Excellent Talent Support Program of the Ministry of Education, nine Jiangsu Specially-Appointed Professors, three “State-Level Teaching Teams”, and one “Innovation Team” from the Ministry of Education."
It has an international exchange and cooperation program in which sends instructors overseas for studies and works with scientific research institutions and medical schools in the Britain, United States of America, Australia, Germany, Japan and France. By 2014 there were more than 500 foreign students. NMU is a partner organization with the Alliance for Health Policy and Systems Research at the World Health Organization.
- "南京医科大学 | Nanjing Medical University | Ranking & Review". 4icu.org. 2011-09-05. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- "Nanjing Medical University". Jiangsu.net. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- "Academic Ranking of World Universities 2014 - China". Academic Ranking of World Universities. Retrieved August 18, 2014.
- Nanjing Medical University. China Education Center Ltd. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- Nanjing Medical University. MBBS in China. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- About NMU. Nanjing Medical University. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- Academic and/or Research Institution Partners. Alliance for Health Policy and Systems Research. World Health Organization. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: New Insights for the Healthcare Professional: 2011 Edition. ScholarlyEditions; 9 January 2012. ISBN 978-1-4649-0154-6. Nanjing Medical University: The MIF-173G/C polymorphism and risk of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia in a Chinese population. PT52.
- Advances in Biological Therapy Research and Application: 2011 Edition. ScholarlyEditions; 9 January 2012. ISBN 978-1-4649-2152-0.
- Advances in Physiology Research and Application: 2011 Edition. ScholarlyEditions; 9 January 2012. ISBN 978-1-4649-2070-7. Nanjing Medical University: Brain mitochondrial dysfunction in ovariectomized mice injected with D-galactose.
- Advances in Physiology Research and Application: 2011 Edition. ScholarlyEditions; 9 January 2012. ISBN 978-1-4649-2070-7. Nanjing Medical University: Exposure to fenvalerate causes brain impairment during zebrafish development.
- Chinese Medical Association and Nanjing Medical University, Chinese Classification of Mental Disorders, second edition, revised (CCMD-2-R) (Nanjing: Dong Nan University Press, 1995) (in Chinese).
- Chinese Psychiatric Assoc. and Nanjing Medical University Teaching Hospital. The Chinese Classification of Mental Disorders. Nanjing, 1995.
- Peter B. Gahan. Circulating Nucleic Acids in Plasma and Serum: Proceedings of the 6th international conference on circulating nucleic acids in plasma and serum held on 9-11 November 2009 in Hong Kong.. Springer; 8 October 2010. ISBN 978-90-481-9382-0. Plasma DNA Methylation Analysis in Predicting Short-Term Recurrence of Surgical Patients with Non-small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC). pp. 47–55.
- Issues in Gastroenterology and Hepatology: 2011 Edition. ScholarlyEditions; 9 January 2012. ISBN 978-1-4649-6406-0.
- Gastric Cancer: New Insights for the Healthcare Professional: 2013 Edition. ScholarlyEditions; 22 July 2013. ISBN 978-1-4816-6510-0.
- "Nanjing Medical University reports research in anesthesiology." Pain & Central Nervous System Week. NewsRX. 2008.
- "Nanjing Medical University reports research in kidney transplants." Blood Weekly. NewsRX. 2009.
- Pancreatic Hormones: Advances in Research and Application: 2011 Edition: ScholarlyBrief. ScholarlyEditions; 9 January 2012. ISBN 978-1-4649-2150-6.
- "Research from Nanjing Medical University provide new insights into secondary hyperparathyroidism." Biotech Week. NewsRX. 2009. HighBeam Research.
- "Scientists at Nanjing Medical University detail research in hemoglobinuria." Health & Medicine Week. NewsRX. 2008.
- Tina Hesman Saey, "Monkeys Born with Edited Genes: DNA-Snipping Technique Shows Therapeutic Promise," Science News, March 8, 2014. p. 7.