|Chief executive||Ralph Roberts|
NHS Shetland operates two hospitals:
- Gilbert Bain Hospital, Lerwick
- Montfield Hospital, Lerwick
The organisation is responsible for the provision of health and social care to the population of around 23,000 people that are resident in Shetland. There are 10 GP practices in Shetland with a primary care emergency centre in Lerwick staffed by three salaried GPs. There are difficulties in recruiting and retaining staff because of the isolation of some of the practices. As of December 2014, Whalsay has been without a permanent doctor for more than a year.
NHS Shetland is headquartered in Montfield, Lerwick.
- "Board Members' Register of Interests". www.shb.scot.nhs.uk/. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "NHS Shetland Board". www.shb.scot.nhs.uk/. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "Rural population finds itself on receiving end of urban policy again". Health Service Journal. 9 September 2004. Retrieved 26 December 2014.
- "NHS funds 'should help tackle GP shortages'". Shetland Times. 2 December 2014. Retrieved 26 December 2014.
- Johnson, Peter (30 September 2014). "NHS top earners revealed". Shetland Times. Retrieved 26 December 2014.