Mystery House (1938 film)
Mystery House is a 1938 mystery-crime film, directed by Noel M. Smith and starring Dick Purcell and Ann Sheridan as nurse Sarah Keate, and is based on the 1930 novel The Mystery of Hunting's End by Mignon G. Eberhart. Sheridan also played the same character in The Patient in Room 18, released in January 1938, while Aline MacMahon played her in While the Patient Slept in 1935.
|Directed by||Noel M. Smith|
|Written by||Sherman L. Lowe|
Mignon G. Eberhart (novel)
|Cinematography||L. William O'Connell|
|Distributed by||Warner Brothers-First National Productions|
At a hunting lodge retreat, banker Hubert Kingery (Eric Stanely) announces to five fellow officers that one of them has forged documents and embezzled $500,000. Before the evening is over, Kingery is shot dead and the police officially rule it a suicide. Kingery's daughter Gwen (Anne Nagel) doesn't agree and asks for help from her aunt's nurse, Sarah Keate (Ann Sheridan), who suggests her detective boyfriend, Lance O'Leary (Dick Purcell), for the case. O'Leary has all of the suspects return to the lodge and begins his investigation. Stuck in the snowbound shelter, the suspects and victims begin to pile up.
- Dick Purcell as Lance O'Leary
- Ann Sheridan as Nurse Sarah Keate
- Anne Nagel as Gwen Kingery
- William Hopper as Lal Killian
- Anthony Averill as Julian Barre
- Dennie Moore as Annette the Maid
- Hugh O'Connell as Newell Morse
- Ben Welden as Gerald Frawley
- Sheila Bromley as Terice Von Elm
- Elspeth Dudgeon as Aunt Lucy Kingery
- Anderson Lawler as Joe Page
- Jean Benedict as Helen Page
- Trevor Bardette as Bruker the Chauffeur
- Eric Stanley as Hubert Kingery
The film was released theatrically by Warner Bros. in May 1938. It was never officially released on any home video format until issued by the Warner Archive Collection in October 2010 as part of the six-film DVD-R collection Warner Bros. Horror/Mystery Double Features.
- "Warner Horror Mystery Double Features". DVD Beaver. Retrieved August 15, 2019.