My Pal Wolf
My Pal Wolf is a 1944 American drama film directed by Alfred L. Werker from a screenplay by Lillie Hayward, Leonard Praskins, and John Paxton, based on the story by Frederick Hazlitt Brennan. Produced and distributed by RKO Radio Pictures, the film was released on October 8, 1944. The film stars Sharyn Moffett (in her film debut), Jill Esmond, Una O'Connor, George Cleveland, Charles Arnt, and Claire Carleton. In addition to Moffett's debut, this picture also marked the production debut of Adrian Scott, who was a writer and producer, who would become a member of the Hollywood Ten.
|My Pal Wolf|
|Directed by||Alfred L. Werker|
Fred Fleck (assistant)
|Produced by||Adrian Scott|
|Screenplay by||Lillie Hayward|
|Story by||Frederick Hazlitt Brennan|
|Music by||C. Bakaleinikoff|
|Edited by||Harry Marker|
|Distributed by||RKO Radio Pictures|
A young girl, Gretchen, finds an AWOL army German Shepherd dog and befriends it, naming it Wolf. When she takes it home, her strict governess notifies the Army who comes around to claim it. Wolf escapes from the army training camp and finds his way back to Gretchen. She and her friends go to Washington to see if the Secretary of War will give her the dog, to no avail. But in the end she gets a puppy to replace Wolf.
- Sharyn Moffett as Gretchen Anstey
- Jill Esmond as Miss Elizabeth Munn
- Una O'Connor as Mrs. Blevin
- George Cleveland as Wilson
- Charles Arnt as Papa Eisdaar
- Claire Carleton as Ruby
- Leona Maricle as Mrs. Priscilla Anstey
- Bruce Edwards as Mr. Paul Anstey
- Edward Fielding as Secretary of War
- Olga Fabian as Mama Eisdaar
- "My Pal Wolf: Detail View". American Film Institute. Archived from the original on March 29, 2014. Retrieved September 17, 2014.
- P.P.K. (1944-10-09). "Movie Review - My Pal Wolf - 'My Pal, Wolf,' Which Drags the War Into Nursery, at Republic - Swedish Film at 48th St. Cinema". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2015-10-07.
- "My Pal Wolf (1944) - Overview - TCM.com". Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved 7 October 2015.