My Lucky Star (1938 film)
|My Lucky Star|
|Directed by||Roy Del Ruth|
|Produced by||Darryl F. Zanuck|
|Written by||Karl Tunberg|
|Screenplay by||Harry Tugend|
|Based on||They Met in Chicago|
|Music by||Louis Silvers|
|Cinematography||John J. Mescall|
|Edited by||Allen McNeil|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
George Cabot Jr. (Cesar Romero), the son of a department store owner, enrolls the store's sports clerk Krista Nielsen (Sonja Henie) at a university to use her as an advertisement for their fashion department.
George is trying to pay off cabaret singer Marcelle La Verne, who wants to annul their brief elopement. Marcelle threatens to name Krista as a co-respondent in her lawsuit. Krista has fallen for Larry Taylor at the college, where a skating exhibition lands her on the cover of Life magazine.
- Sonja Henie as Krista Nielsen
- Richard Greene as Larry Taylor
- Joan Davis as Mary Dwight
- Cesar Romero as George Cabot Jr
- Buddy Ebsen as Buddy
- Arthur Treacher as Whipple
- George Barbier as George Cabot Sr
- Gypsy Rose Lee as Marcelle La Verne (as Louise Hovick)
- Billy Gilbert as Nick
- Patricia Wilder as Dorothy
- Paul Hurst as Louie
- Elisha Cook Jr. as Waldo
- Robert Kellard as Pennell
- Gloria Brewster as June (as The Brewster Twins)
- Barbara Brewster as Jean (as The Brewster Twins)
Rehearsals started in April with over 300 ballet skaters. Buddy Ebsen was borrowed from MGM.
- My Lucky Star Monthly Film Bulletin; London Vol. 5, Iss. 49, (Jan 1, 1938): 222.
- THIRD FILM BASED ON AMERICAN HISTORY CONSIDERED BY DE MILLE: Sonja Henie Rebels Against "Picture Strain" Los Angeles Times 27 Jan 1938: 10.
- Hedda Hopper's HOLLYWOOD Los Angeles Times (1923-1995); Los Angeles, Calif. [Los Angeles, Calif]19 Apr 1938: 11.
- SCREEN NEWS HERE AND IN HOLLYWOOD New York Times 19 Apr 1938: 24.
- NEWS OF THE SCREEN: ' Cinderella,' in Color, to Be Deanna Durbin's Next New York Times (1923-Current file); New York, N.Y. [New York, N.Y]20 Apr 1938: 21.
- BIG FREEZE IN HOLLYWOOD: Ice Queen Capitulates to Norse Ultimatum--Concerning Rogers-Astaire and RKO By DOUGLAS W. CHURCHILL. New York Times 12 June 1938: 143.
- Sonja Henie Bewildered by Hollywood, But Never Overlooks Overtime ($3,500 a Day) By Hubbard Keavy. The Washington Post 16 Oct 1938: TS1.
- My Lucky Star at the American Film Institute Catalog
- My Lucky Star at IMDb
- My Lucky Star at Letterbox DVD
- My Lucky Star at BFI
- My Lucky Star at AllMovie
- My Lucky Star at the TCM Movie Database