Kay Francis in the film trailer
|Directed by||John Farrow|
|Produced by||Bryan Foy|
|Written by||Vincent Sherman|
contribution to treatment
contribution to scr constr
|Based on||play Courage by Tom Barry|
|Music by||Howard Jackson (uncredited)|
|Edited by||Frank Magee|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
Mary Colbrook is a widowed mother with four children. She struggles to provide for them financially.
- Kay Francis as Mary Colbrook
- Dickie Moore as William "Bill" Colbrook
- Bonita Granville as Gwendolyn Colbrook
- John Litel as John C. Rudlin
- Anita Louise as Muriel Colbrook
- Bobby Jordan as Reginald Colbrook Jr.
- Maurice Murphy as Lynn Willard
- Elisabeth Risdon as Aunt Caroline Colbrook
- Helena Phillips Evans as Adelaide Crosby
- John Ridgely as Mr. Martin
- Sidney Bracey as Jenner (as Sidney Bracy)
- Bernice Pilot as Beulah
- Jan Holm as Miss Kelly
The film was based a 1928 play by Tom Barry, called Courage. Warners had previously filmed it in 1930 under that title with Belle Bennett. The number of children in the play was eight; this was reduced to four.
It was the first movie Kay Francis made for Warners' B unit under Byrnie Foy. Francis was being paid a high salary and Warners were keen for her to quit but she refused in order that she could still get her salary. She would make five films for him in all.
Vincent Sherman said he had to rewrite the script in only a few days - he was given the play on Thursday and he handed in a script on Monday.
John Farrow was attached to direct in March 1938. Farrow later said he directed Francis by polite but businesslike suggestions, Louise via picturesque comments that would amuse her and arouse her imagination, Granville needed encouragement and praise, and Bobby Jordan required occasional sarcasm.
In popular culture
- My Bill at Kay Francis Films Archived 2014-04-05 at the Wayback Machine accessed 16 March 2014
- "My Bill". Turner Classic Movies.
- Davis, Ronald L. (2005). Just Making Movies. University of Mississippi Press. p. 89.
- NEWS OF THE SCREEN: Horton Added to 'Holiday' at Columbia--'Courier de Paris' at Metro--Three New Films Here Today The Toy Wife" at Metro Of Local Origin Coast Scripts Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file); New York, N.Y. [New York, N.Y]19 Mar 1938: 10
- Director Tells Psychology of Direction Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File); Los Angeles, Calif. [Los Angeles, Calif]13 July 1938: 12.
- KAY FRANCIS PLAYS MOTHER OF FAMILY IN "MY BILL" Scheuer, Philip K. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File); Los Angeles, Calif. [Los Angeles, Calif]14 June 1938: 8.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to My Bill (film).|
- My Bill on IMDb
- My Bill at the TCM Movie Database
- My Bill at AllMovie
- Lux Radio Theatre production of My Bill at Internet Archive