Mustafa Denizli (born 10 November 1949) is a former Turkish football player and coach. He has managed many notable Turkish football clubs, including "Istanbul Big Three" (Fenerbahçe, Galatasaray and Beşiktaş) and has won the Süper Lig title three times. He is the only manager in history to win the Süper Lig with three clubs.
Denizli in 2019
|Date of birth||10 November 1949|
|Place of birth||Çeşme, Turkey|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Denizli was appointed manager of FK Khazar Lankaran on 3 December 2013, with a one-and-a-half year deal. On 16 May 2014, Denizli terminated his contract with Khazar.
He also has worked outside Turkey with Alemannia Aachen in Germany, Pas and Persepolis in Iran and Khazar Lankaran in Azerbaijan. He managed the Turkish national team for four years and reached the quarter-finals of Euro 2000. On 23 December 2011, he returned to Persepolis but resigned at the end of the season. He spent 17 years with his hometown club Altay in İzmir, gaining a reputation as one of the best players in the position of attacking left forward in the league's history. On 9 October 2008 he signed a 1-year contract with Beşiktaş. On 30 May the club claimed its 13th Süper Lig title under his guidance. Denizli is the only one in Turkey who have won the national league with the ""three biggest"" football clubs; Beşiktaş, Fenerbahçe and Galatasaray as a manager. With 2008–09 league title, Denizli also clings to the achievement of being "the one and only Turkish coach Beşiktaş earned the league title with". 2 June 2010 According to a number of reports from Turkey, experienced gaffer Denizli has resigned as head coach of Süper Lig titans Beşiktaş due to medical reasons.
Third term at Galatasaray
On 19 November 2015, Galatasaray manager Hamza Hamzaoğlu left his position as a result of mutual agreement. On 22 November 2015, Denizli said "Galatasaray's president called me. I am going to meet with him tomorrow, negotiating for managerial position" on TRT Spor broadcast. A day later, Galatasaray's president Dursun Aydın Özbek met with Denizli at Point Hotel Beşiktaş, Istanbul and he said "I offered managerial position to Mustafa Denizli and he accepted in principle. We will sign the official contract in a few days" on the press conference. Denizli commented "I started my career's unforgettable success' here and I want close the parenthesis here."
Before the signing, Denizli followed UEFA Champions League match, Galatasaray played with Atlético Madrid in Vicente Calderón Stadium. But in this match, the team was managed by Cláudio Taffarel as the interim manager. On 26 November 2015, he signed a contract until June 2017 in Florya Metin Oktay Sports Complex and Training Center.
Denizli started his third term at Galatasaray with a 2–2 draw against Kasımpaşa in Süper Lig. Team was beat Bursaspor with 3-0 in Ali Sami Yen Sports Complex, which is his second match. On 8 December 2015, team draw against 1-1 with FC Astana but they took third place in UEFA Champions League C Group and qualified for 2015–16 UEFA Europa League knockout phase. He said "This was the hardest 90 minutes of my career." after the game. His last European match in 1991–92 European Cup Winners' Cup with Werder Bremen while he was a coach of Galatasaray until this match.
His first derby was with Beşiktaş in Atatürk Olympic Stadium and Galatasaray lost 2-1 this match. Besides, this was first defeat of Denizli on third term. After this, Galatasaray was met with Akhisar Belediyespor, impending Turkish Cup and beat in two matches. Denizli went outside Istanbul with Kastamonuspor match since appointed of manager. Denizli resigned from his duty on 1 March 2016.
On 2 October 2018, Denizli was appointed as the head coach of Kasımpaşa. Denizli resigned in May 2019 two weeks before the end of the season.
Denizli was appointed as head coach of Tractor in June 2019. One of his biggest successes during his career at Tractor FC, was winning the Persepolis–Tractor rivalry and when he was the head coach, Tractor defeated Persepolis after more than five years. However, he was sacked on 7 December 2019 after a series of bad results, including a 4-2 home loss to Esteghlal.
|Turkey national team|
|1.||Ankara 19 Mayıs Stadium, Ankara, Turkey||1–0||1–2||Friendly|
|2.||Empire Stadium, Gżira, Malta||0–2||1–2||UEFA Euro 1980 qualifying|
- Çaykur Rizespor
- "Mustafa Denizli signed a 1.5 year contract with XL" (in Azerbaijani). www.azerisport.com/. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "XL Mustafa Dənizli ilə yollarını ayırdı" (in Azerbaijani). Azerisport. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "Mustafa Denizli Resigns As Besiktas Coach". Goal.com. 2 June 2010. Retrieved 16 July 2012.
- "Explanation from Galatasaray Sportif A.Ş." (in Turkish). www.galatasaray.org. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- "Explanation for Galatasaray from Denizli" (in Turkish). www.trtspor.com.tr/. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "Explanations from Dursun Aydın Özbek and Mustafa Denizli" (in Turkish). www.galatasaray.org. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- "Denizli talks after Atlético Madrid match" (in Turkish). www.sporx.com. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- "Mustafa Denizli signed with Galatasaray" (in Turkish). www.galatasaray.org. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- "Kasımpaşa 2-2 Galatasaray" (in Turkish). www.galatasaray.org. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "Galatasaray 3-0 Bursaspor" (in Turkish). www.galatasaray.org. Retrieved 3 December 2015.
- "Galatasaray 1-1 Astana" (in Turkish). www.galatasaray.org. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "Comments from Mustafa Denizli for Astana match" (in Turkish). www.galatasaray.org. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "At Europe with Galatasaray after 8665 days" (in Turkish). www.trtspor.com.tr. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "Beşiktaş 2-1 Galatasaray" (in Turkish). www.galatasaray.org. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- "Galatasaray 2-1 Akhisar Belediyespor" (in Turkish). www.galatasaray.org. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- "Galatasaray 3-2 Akhisar Belediyespor" (in Turkish). www.galatasaray.org. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- "Kastamonuspor 1966 1-2 Galatasaray" (in Turkish). www.galatasaray.org. Retrieved 23 December 2015.
- "Galatasaray'da Mustafa Denizli dönemi sona erdi" (in Turkish). www.t24.com.tr. 1 March 2016. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- Mustafa Denizli Kasımpaşamızda, kasimpasaspor.org.tr, 2 October 2018
- "Mustafa Denizli istifasını açıkladı! ("Mustafa Denizli announced his resignation!")". Hürriyet (in Turkish). 14 May 2019. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- Mu Xuequan (13 June 2019). "Turkish Mustafa Denizli named Iran's Tractor head coach". Xinhuanet. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- "شکست پرسپولیس بعد از 5 سال مقابل تراکتور". Farsnews - Persian. Retrieved 30 August 2019.
- "تراکتور ۱ - ۰ پرسپولیس/ ۳ امتیاز شیرین برای تراکتور با شوت احسان". 90tv.ir (in Persian). Retrieved 30 August 2019.
- "مصطفی دنیزلی از تراکتور جدا شد". www.varzesh3.com (in Persian). Retrieved 7 December 2019.
- "İstatistikler". mackolik.com. 1 September 2011. Retrieved 1 September 2011.
- "Mustafa Denizli". National Football Teams. Benjamin Strack-Zimmerman. Retrieved 1 September 2011.
- "Mustafa Denizli Managerial Statistic". mackolik.com. Retrieved 10 September 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mustafa Denizli.|
- Mustafa Denizli – Player profile at the Turkish Football Federation
- Mustafa Denizli – Coach profile at the Turkish Football Federation
- Mustafa Denizli – Player profile at Mackolik.com (in Turkish)
- Mustafa Denizli – Coach profile at Mackolik.com (in Turkish)
- Mustafa Denizli at Eurosport.com
- Mustafa Denizli at National-Football-Teams.com