Marvin Wesley Vye Jr. (July 15, 1913 – August 17, 1976) was an American character actor.
Marvin Wesley Vye Jr.
July 15, 1913
Quincy, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Died||August 17, 1976 63) (aged|
Pompano Beach, Florida, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Patricia Savage (1935-1936, divorce)|
Vye appeared in numerous films in the 1940s and 1950s, often in exotic roles. He portrayed a villainous Merlin the Magician in the 1949 Bing Crosby musical comedy, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, and the scheming Prince Arok in 1952's Road to Bali, a comedy co-starring Crosby and Bob Hope.
On Broadway, Vye debuted in Hamlet (1936). He also created the role of Jigger Cragin in the original production of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Carousel. Vye was also set to appear as the Kralaholme in the original production of The King and I, but as rehearsals went on he lost his only two musical numbers and left the show.
In 1958 Vye appeared as Virgie on the TV western Tales of Wells Fargo in the episode titled "Butch Cassidy."
He did guest-star appearances in many television series throughout the 1950s and '60s, including Maverick, M Squad, The Untouchables, Bonanza, The Rifleman, Perry Mason, Wagon Train, The Beverly Hillbillies and The Lucy Show.
Vye died on August 17, 1976, in Pompano Beach, Florida.
Partial filmography (as actor)
- Golden Earrings (1947) as Zoltan
- Whispering Smith (1948) as Blake Barton
- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1949) as Merlin
- Pickup (1951) (uncredited)
- Assignment – Paris! (1952) as Medical Officer at Prisoner Exchange (uncredited)
- Road to Bali (1952) as Arok
- Destination Gobi (1953) as Kengtu
- Pickup on South Street (1953) as Capt. Dan Tiger
- River of No Return (1954) as Dave Colby
- Black Horse Canyon (1954) as Jennings
- Green Fire (1954) as El Moro
- Escape to Burma (1955) as Makesh
- Pearl of the South Pacific (1955) as Halemano
- Voodoo Island (1957) as Barney Finch
- This Could Be the Night (1957) as Waxie London
- Short Cut to Hell (1957) as Nichols
- The Walter Winchell File (1957, Episode: "The Law and Aaron Benjamin") as Zero
- Girl in the Woods (1958) as Whitlock
- In Love and War (1958) as Charlie Scanlon (uncredited)
- Rally Round the Flag, Boys! (1958) as Oscar Hoffa (uncredited)
- Al Capone (1959) as George 'Bugs' Moran
- The Boy and the Pirates (1960) as Blackbeard
- The Big Bankroll (1961) as Williams
- The George Raft Story (1961) as Johnny Fuller
- Andy (1965) as Bartender