Murchison East railway station
Northbound view in July 2007. The original station building has since been demolished due to a fire.
|Location||Cassidys Road, Murchison|
|Distance||147.25 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 11|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||13 January 1880|
It became a junction station in September 1890 when the line to Rushworth opened, branching off at the southern end of the station. That line was later extended to Colbinabbin and Girgarre. The Rushworth line closed in 1987.
The station has the longest passing loop on the line, 870 metres in length, but in 2013 the loop was booked out of service due to poor track condition. A number of other sidings that serve a grain silo complex are opposite the platform.
Flashing lights were provided at the nearby Goulburn Valley Highway level crossing in 1974. Boom barriers have since been added.
Platforms & services
- Murchison East Vicsig
- Bob Whitehead (2008). Tocumwal Railway Centenary.
- Sid Brown (March 1990). "Tracks Across the State". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society: 71–76.
- V/Line. "Seymour to Tocumwal". Network Access Information Pack. Retrieved 13 July 2008.
- Toscano, Nick (4 June 2014). "Country train station destroyed by fire". The Age. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- "Way & Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. March 1975. p. 56.
- Shepparton - Melbourne Public Transport Victoria