Municipalities of Quintana Roo
The state was created from the Quintana Roo Territory in 1974 with seven municipios. Solidaridad was formed in 1993 by act of the Congress of Quintana Roo. Tulum was split off from Solidaridad in March 2008. Bacalar was split off from Othón P. Blanco in February 2011. And in 2016, Puerto Morelos was split off from Benito Juárez.
Municipalities in Quintana Roo are administratively autonomous of the state according to the 115th article of the 1917 Constitution of Mexico. Every three years, citizens elect a municipal president (Spanish: presidente municipal) by a plurality voting system who heads a concurrently elected municipal council (ayuntamiento) responsible for providing all the public services for their constituents. The municipal council consists of a variable number of trustees and councillors (regidores y síndicos). Municipalities are responsible for public services (such as water and sewerage), street lighting, public safety, traffic, supervision of slaughterhouses and the maintenance of public parks, gardens and cemeteries. They may also assist the state and federal governments in education, emergency fire and medical services, environmental protection and maintenance of monuments and historical landmarks. Since 1984, they have had the power to collect property taxes and user fees, although more funds are obtained from the state and federal governments than from their own income.
|INEGI code||Municipality||Municipal seat||Population|
|23001||Cozumel||San Miguel de Cozumel||79,535|
|23002||Felipe Carrillo Puerto||Felipe Carrillo Puerto||75,026|
|23003||Isla Mujeres||Isla Mujeres||16,203|
|23004||Othón P. Blanco||Chetumal||244,553|
|23006||José María Morelos||José María Morelos||36,179|
|23008||Solidaridad||Playa del Carmen||159,310|
|23011||Puerto Morelos||Puerto Morelos||15,725|
- Silvia Hernández (February 2, 2011). "Bacalar, el décimo municipio de Q. Roo". El Universal. Retrieved 2011-05-02.
- "Discuten por nuevo municipio - Riviera Maya" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2008-10-09. Retrieved 2011-04-16.
- "Constitución Política de los Estados Unidos Mexicanos". Article 115, of 1917 (in Spanish). Retrieved September 27, 2017.
- OECD (November 12, 2004). New Forms of Governance for Economic Development. OECD Publishing. p. 121. ISBN 9264015329.
- International Business Publications (2009). Mexico Company Laws and Regulations Handbook. p. 42. ISBN 1-4330-7030-8.
- "Censo de Población y Vivienda 2010". Retrieved 2011-01-06.
- "Link to tables of population data from Census of 2005". Archived from the original on 2013-04-06. Retrieved 2009-10-31.
- "Discuten por nuevo municipio". Archived from the original on 2008-10-09. Retrieved 2009-11-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Municipalities in Quintana Roo.|