|Type||National daily sports newspaper|
|Sister newspapers||La Vanguardia|
History and profile
Mundo Deportivo was first published on 1 February 1906, as a weekly newspaper, and since 1929 daily. It is the oldest sports newspaper still published in Spain, and the second one in Europe, after the Italian La Gazzetta dello Sport which was founded in 1896.
It is published in Barcelona and is owned by Grupo Godó. The group also owns La Vanguardia.
- In isolation, Deportivo is pronounced [depoɾˈtiβo].
- Pujadas i Martí, Xavier; Santacana i Torres, Carles (2 October 2012). "Prensa, deporte y cultura de masas. El papel del periodismo especializado en la expansión social del deporte en Cataluña hasta la guerra civil (1890-1936)" [Press, sport and mass culture. The role of specialized journalism in the social growth of sport in Catalonia until the civil war (1890-1936)] (PDF). Historia y Comunicación Social (in Spanish). Universidad Complutense de Madrid. 17: 141-157. doi:10.5209/rev_HICS.2012.v17.40603. ISSN 1137-0734. Retrieved 3 September 2019.
- "Association Members". International Association of Sports Newspapers (IASN). Archived from the original on 25 March 2010. Retrieved 3 September 2019.
- Castelló, Enric; Domingo, David (1 July 2005). "Spanish media facing new media: a challenge to journalists?". International Journal of Iberian Studies. Intellect. 18 (3): 181-200. doi:10.1386/ijis.18.3.181_1. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- Official website (in Spanish)