Mulligan's Stew was an American comedy-drama television series that originally aired as a 90-minute NBC television movie on June 20, 1977, and later, as a 60-minute series from October 25, 1977 to December 13, 1977. The series focused on the lives of the Mulligan family, who live in the fictitious Southern California community of Birchfield; high school teacher and football coach, Michael (Lawrence Pressman), his wife, Jane (Elinor Donahue), who's a school nurse.
The cast of Mulligan's Stew
|No. of seasons||1 season|
|No. of episodes||1 movie / 6 episodes|
|Running time||Pilot movie: 90 mins|
Series: 60 mins
|Production company(s)||Christiana Productions|
|Distributor||CBS Television Distribution|
|Original release||TV movie / Pilot|
October 25, 1977 –
December 13, 1977
Michael and Jane have three children: Mark, Melinda and Jimmy. They find making ends meet difficult, but manageable. Things get tighter moneywise and spacewise when the Mulligans take in their nephew Adam (Moose) and nieces Polaris (Polly) and Starshine (Stevie) Freedman, after their parents (Michael's sister and brother-in-law) are killed in a plane crash in Hawaii while in the process of adopting the Vietnamese-born Kimmy, leaving the Mulligans to finalize the adoption. They deal with the changes and bond as a family.
- Lawrence Pressman ... Michael Mulligan
- Elinor Donahue ... Jane Mulligan
- Johnny Whitaker ... Mark Mulligan (movie)
- Johnny Doran ... Mark Mulligan (series)
- Julie Anne Haddock ... Melinda Mulligan
- K.C. Martel ... Jimmy Mulligan
- Lory Koccheim ... Polaris 'Polly' Freedman
- Suzanne Crough ... Stevie Freedman
- Chris Ciampa ... Adam 'Moose' Freedman
- Sunshine Lee ... Kimmy Nguyen Freedman
Mulligan's Stew was scheduled opposite four Top 20 hits: Three's Company and Soap on ABC, and M*A*S*H and One Day at a Time on CBS. As a result, it suffered from dismal ratings, and was cancelled at the end of 1977.
- The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows, 1946-Present. Ballantine Books. 2003. p. 806. ISBN 0-345-45542-8.