|Meaning of name||hog-back|
Mugdrum Island shown within Scotland
|OS grid reference||NO225189|
|Island group||River Tay|
|Highest elevation||4 m|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Mugdrum is low-lying and reedy, with the "North Deep" and "South Deep" channels on either side of the island. It covers an area of 32 acres (130,000 m2).
The reeds were once harvested for thatching and for protecting potatoes during transshipment. Until 1926, a 50-acre (200,000 m2) farm grew cereals, potatoes and turnips in the island's alluvial soil. It is now a nature reserve under the stewardship of the Tay Valley Wildfowlers' Association.
The Laing Museum in Newburgh preserves the stuffed body of a two-headed kitten born in the 19th century on Mugdrum.