Mr. Moto in Danger Island
|Mr. Moto in Danger Island|
|Directed by||Herbert I. Leeds|
|Produced by||John Stone|
|Written by||Peter Milne|
|Based on||Murder in Trinidad|
by John W. Vandercook
characters by John P. Marquand
|Music by||Samuel Kaylin|
|Cinematography||Lucien N. Andriot|
|Edited by||Harry Reynolds|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|April 7, 1939|
The film was based on the novel Murder in Trinidad, but the setting was moved to Puerto Rico.
Mr Moto arrives in Puerto Rico to investigate the murder of an American agent and uncovers a smuggling ring.
- Peter Lorre as Mr. Moto
- Jean Hersholt as Sutter
- Amanda Duff as Joan Castle
- Warren Hymer as Twister McGurk
- Richard Lane as Commissioner Gordon
- Leon Ames as Commissioner Madero
- Douglass Dumbrille as La Costa
- Charles D. Brown as Col. Thomas Castle
- Paul Harvey as Gov. John Bentley
- Robert Lowery as Lt. George Bentley
- Eddie Marr as Capt. Dahlen
- Harry Woods as Grant
- Ray Walker as Ambulance Intern
- Ward Bond as Sailor Sam - Wrestler (uncredited)
The novel Murder in Trinidad has been filmed in 1934 starring Nigel Bruce.
It was originally going to be a Charlie Chan picture with a treatment written by John Reinhardt in 1938 called Chan in Trinidad. In September 1938, George Bricker wrote another treatment called Mr. Moto in Trinidad.
Antonio Moreno was originally to have played the role of "La Costa."
Fox later filmed the novel a third time, as The Caribbean Mystery (1945).
End of Series
In December 1938 Fox announced they would not give Lorre a new contract but that he still had four Moto films to make. In January 1939 the series was put on hold. In April 1939 Fox announced they would make four more Motos over the next 12 months. However Lorre left the studio in July 1939, effectively ending the series.
This film, along with Mr. Moto's Gamble, Mr. Moto's Last Warning, Mr. Moto Takes a Vacation and (as a DVD extra) The Return of Mr. Moto, was released on DVD in 2007 by 20th Century Fox as part of The Mr. Moto Collection, Volume Two.
- Backer p.295
- Mr. Moto on Danger Island Monthly Film Bulletin; London Vol. 6, Iss. 61, (Jan 1, 1939): 47.
- Backer p.297
- "Mr Moto in Danger Island notes". Turner Classic Movies.
- 'Under Pup' by Wylie Planned as Picture: Connolly in 'Huck Finn' Busy Weaver Season New Oberon Subject M.G.M. Signs Dancer Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times 19 Nov 1938: A7.
- SCREEN NEWS HERE AND IN HOLLYWOOD: RKO and United Artists Seek Anna Neagle--Metro Plans Remake of 'Desert Song' NEW ROLE FOR MISS FAYE Slated for 'Life of William Tell'--Goldwyn Prepares to Film 'Beach Boy' Plans for Alice Faye Coast Scripts Of Local Origin Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 22 Nov 1938: 26
- SCREEN NEWS HERE AND IN HOLLYWOOD: Paramount Plans to Remake 'The Cat and the Canary'--Martha Raye in Lead ELLISON REPLACES GRANT Gets Lead in 'Little Mother' With Ginger Rogers--Work to Begin on 'Guerrillas' Ellison in Rogers Film Coast Scripts Of Local Origin New York Times 29 Nov 1938: 27.
- THE SCREEN: 'Concentration Camp' Opens at Waldorf Theatre-- 'Mr. Moto in Danger Island' at the Central At the Teatro Hispano At the Central New York Times 20 Mar 1939: 18.
- Teaming of Lombard and Grant Projected: 'Mr. Moto' Re-Signed Dix Will Play Houston Spy Story Scheduled Wally Vernon Assignec Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times 2 Dec 1938: A18.
- FILM STUDIO TO OFFSET EUROPEAN MARKET LOSS: Program of 52 Pictures for Year Announced by 20th Century-Fox Los Angeles Times 1 Apr 1939: A16.
- DRAMA: MacDonald-Eddy Reunion Romantic Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times19 July 1939: 13.
- Backer, Ron. Mystery Movie Series of 1930s Hollywood. McFarland, 2012.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Mr. Moto in Danger Island|