Moscow Society of Naturalists
In 1805 it was founded as the Imperial Society of Naturalists of Moscow (Société Impériale des Naturalistes de Moscou) under the auspices of two noblemen, Mikhail Myravyov and Alexis Razumovsky, by Johann Fischer von Waldheim in 1805. Princess Zenaǐde Wolkonsky made a gift of her own library to the society.
Such cultural institutions as the Polytechnical Museum, Zoological Museum, and University Herbarium used to be affiliated with the society. It has published its own bimonthly journal, Bulletin de la Société Impériale des Naturalistes de Moscou, since 1826.
It was organised under the auspices of the Moscow State University (MGU) and included many members of the university staff amongst its members.
- Weiner, Douglas R. (2002). A little corner of freedom : Russian nature protection from Stalin to Gorbachev. Berkeley, Calif.: University of California Press. p. 125. ISBN 9780520232136.