Entrekin is a graduate of Montgomery Bell Academy, Stanford University and the Radcliffe Publishing Course. He began his career at Delacorte Press. In 1982 he moved to Simon & Schuster. In 1984, he started his own imprint at Atlantic Monthly Press. In 1993 he merged this company with Grove Press to create Grove/Atlantic Inc. In 2015, he launched Literary Hub with editor Terry McDonell and publisher Andy Hunter. He was the recipient of the 2017 Maxwell E. Perkins Award for Distinguished Achievement in the Field of Fiction.
- King, Ian. "KGB Bar & Lit Journal". Kgbbar.com. Retrieved May 17, 2012.
- Méndez, Teresa (January 14, 2004). "The publisher as protagonist". The Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved May 17, 2012.
- "17th Annual Key West Literary Seminar". Archived from the original on July 2, 2007.
- "Literary Hub is a New Home for Book Lovers". WSJ. Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "2017 Perkins Award Winner", The Center for Fiction.