Morden Hall Park
Morden Hall Park is a National Trust park located on the banks of the River Wandle in Morden, south London. It covers over 50 hectares (125 acres) of parkland with the River Wandle meandering through it spanned by numerous footbridges. The estate contains Morden Hall itself, Morden Cottage, two Snuff Mills and the restored Stableyard with a dog-friendly cafe, exhibition space and second-hand bookshop. Morden Hall Park is also home to the National Trust's only Garden Centre.
|Morden Hall Park|
|Location||Morden, London, England|
|Area||125 acres (51 ha)|
|Operated by||National Trust|
|Public transit access||Morden tube station and Phipps Bridge tram stop|
The estate land was originally owned by Westminster Abbey. There is evidence of an earlier manor-house originally built by the Garth family where Morden Lodge now stands. The Hall dates back to the 1770s and contains a variety of natural landscapes, including the parkland of the "Deer Park", meadow and wetland. A number of historic buildings are located in the park, including the Hall itself and preserved watermills where tobacco was once ground into snuff.
The land was occupied by the Garth family for generations before the estate was split in two and Morden Hall was built. The Hall was occupied, as a school, for young gentlemen about 1840, until it was sold by Sir Richard Garth to a tobacco merchant Gilliat Hatfeild (1827–1906) in the 1870s.
The Hall was a military hospital during the First World War and later a Women and Children's hospital.
Gilliat Hatfeild's son, Gilliat Edward Hatfeild (1864–9 February 1941), left the core of the estate (including the house) to the National Trust, when he died. The Hall is now an exclusive Wedding Venue, offering a beautiful location together with fine foods and drink. It had previously been a Whitbread plc owned restaurant.
Gilliat Edward Hatfeild lived at the nearby Morden Cottage which he considered better suited to his life as a bachelor. The formal rose garden around the cottage hosts over 2000 roses and an unusual collection of ornamental trees, including one of the oldest yews in England.
Merton Council leased the land from the National Trust in 1941. Several Sunday Pictorial garden parties were hosted on the land in this time in aid of the NSPCC with famous British actors such as Richard Attenborough, Alec Guinness and Patricia Roc in attendance. Outside of the main park, the remainder of the estate has been swallowed up in housing developments stretching between Morden, South Wimbledon and Collier's Wood and an industrial estate at Deer Park Road.
The Tramlink light rail line from Wimbledon to Croydon, Elmers End and New Addington runs through the northern part of the park, and Phipps Bridge and Morden Road tram stops give access to the park. They are respectively 0.3 mi (0.48 km) and 0.6 mi (0.97 km) walk through the park to the Snuff Mill and Riverside Café. Morden tube station (Northern line) and Morden South railway station (Thameslink) are respectively 0.4 mi (0.64 km) and 0.9 mi (1.4 km) walk through the town centre from the main entrance.
- aboutbritain.com Morden Hall Park. accessed April 2008
- 'Parishes: Morden', A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 4 (1912), pp. 235–237. Date accessed: 12 April 2008.
- British Pathe News Archive Partially silent 1948 newsreel of film industry party held at Morden Hall.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Morden Hall Park.|