Montrose is a village in Effingham and Cumberland counties in the U.S. state of Illinois. The population was 201 at the 2010 census, down from 257 in 2000. Montrose is part of the Effingham, IL Micropolitan Statistical Area and the Charleston-Mattoon Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Location of Montrose in Cumberland County, Illinois.
Location of Illinois in the United States
|Coordinates: 39°9′57″N 88°22′42″W|
|Townships||St. Francis, Spring Point|
|• Total||0.69 sq mi (1.79 km2)|
|• Land||0.69 sq mi (1.79 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|• Density||288.41/sq mi (111.28/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Wikimedia Commons||Montrose, Illinois|
The Effingham County portion of Montrose is part of the Effingham Micropolitan Statistical Area, while the small section that lies in Cumberland County is part of the Charleston–Mattoon Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Montrose is located at 39°9′57″N 88°22′42″W (39.165768, −88.378386). Most of the village lies in northern Effingham County, although a small portion extends into southern Cumberland County. In the 2000 census, all of Montrose's 257 residents lived in Effingham County.
U.S. Route 40, following the route of the former National Road, passes through the village, leading northeast 13 miles (21 km) to Greenup and southwest 9 miles (14 km) to Effingham. Interstate 70 passes through the northern side of the village, with access from Exit 105.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 257 people, 106 households, and 64 families residing in the village. The population density was 361.9 people per square mile (139.8/km²). There were 114 housing units at an average density of 160.5 per square mile (62.0/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 100.00% White.
There were 106 households out of which 25.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.5% were married couples living together, 16.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.7% were non-families. 33.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 3.18.
In the village, the population was spread out with 23.3% under the age of 18, 8.9% from 18 to 24, 27.6% from 25 to 44, 21.0% from 45 to 64, and 19.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 96.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.3 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $26,250, and the median income for a family was $38,438. Males had a median income of $26,667 versus $18,333 for females. The per capita income for the village was $14,443. About 16.4% of families and 16.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.2% of those under the age of eighteen and 31.3% of those sixty five or over.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jun 30, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Montrose village, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved August 4, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Subcounty population estimates 2000-2006: Illinois". United States Census Bureau, Population Division. 2007-06-28. Archived from the original (CSV) on 2008-10-08. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-12-19.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.