Moeck Musikinstrumente + Verlag
Moeck Musikinstrumente + Verlag is a leading German manufacturer of recorders and a music publisher.
The company was founded in 1925 by Hermann Moeck (1896-1982) in Celle. In 1960 his son Dr. Hermann Alexander Moeck Jr. (1922-2010) took over the business. The current owner is Sabine Haase-Moeck.
The company produces recorders for beginners and handmade instruments for soloists. They began as a publisher in 1929/30 as part of the youth movement in Germany, later adding recorders manufactured by Markneukirchen, and began manufacturing their own instruments in 1949. Beginning in 1966, during the revival of early music, they worked with Friedrich von Huene to develop their Rottenburgh model line. Moeck formerly manufactured historical instruments such as crumhorn, rauschpfeifes, shawms, cornetts, and dulcians designed by Otto Steinkopf, but the Renaissance and Baroque Woodwind Instruments division was closed in December 2008.
The publishing division specialized in recorder music, and publishes Tibia, a woodwind periodical.
For the past 40 years, Moeck have frequently traded with The Early Music Shop, the largest music store worldwide specialising in renaissance instruments, which serves as one of its official exclusive UK distributors and agents. Moeck are now said to be one of the most recognised recorder makes in the world.
- Richard Griscom; David Lasocki (2012). The Recorder: A Research and Information Guide (Third ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Pratt, Bill (February 1973). "Dr. Hermann Moeck Talks About His Firm". The American Recorder. American Recorder Society. 14 (1): 3–8.
- Smith, Adrian (2000). Music Making in the West Riding of Yorkshire. R.H. Wood Publishing. p. 122. ISBN 9780953988501.
- Historical Woodwind Instruments page
- "Crumhorns, sackbuts and lutes for sale... in Saltaire". BD18online - Local News and Views. November 2007.
- "The Early Music Shop: 'The Largest source of early musical instruments worldwide'". Gigmag.co.uk. October 2007.
- "Early Music Shop based in West Yorkshire | EntsWeb". www.entsweb.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-10-14.
- "MOECK Musikinstrumente + Verlag". Moeck. 2016. Retrieved June 26, 2016.