Mithibai College of Arts, Chauhan Institute of Science & Amruthben Jivanlal College of Commerce and Economics is a college affiliated to the University of Mumbai. The college was established in 1961 in Vile Parle, Mumbai by Shri Vile Parle Kelavani Mandal. In 2018 it was granted autonomous status by UGC.
|Affiliations||University of Mumbai |
Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education
Mithibai College was established by Shri Vile Parle Kelavani Mandal (SVKM) in 1961, as a part of the trust's silver jubilee celebration. The Mithibai College of Arts and Chauhan Institute of Science, commonly known as the main wing, was started first, and the Amrutben Jivanlal College of Commerce & Economics started 19 years later. Other courses including Bachelor of Management Studies, Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree courses in biochemistry, biotechnology and computer science were subsequently introduced by the College. The college has grown to a student population of more than 32,000.
Student College Life
The college won the Guru Nanak General Championship Trophy of the University of Mumbai for 12 consecutive years. Many of Mithibai's athletes have en representing the University, the state and also the country. Many of them are the recipients of the prestigious Shri Shivchhatrapati Award of the State and the Arjuna Award at the National level.
Mithibai Kshitij is the college's annual cultural festival. It is a 4-day festival, with more than 500 colleges being invited every year. Events include competitions, workshops, seminars, exhibitions, amateur and professional shows which are conducted at various SVKM venues. Mithibai Kshitij is mainly known for its Pronights (Pro-Nites), Artists and bands like Juggy D, Raghu Dixit, Pentagram, Kailash Kher, Hard Kaur, Akriti Kakkar, Tochi Raina, Jazzy-B and many others have performed on the Jashoda Rang Mandir Ground's Stage in Mithibai Kshitij. In 2011, The Dirty Picture movie's crew including Vidya Balan, Bappi Lahiri, Vishal-Shekhar, Sunidhi Chauhan, Emraan Hashmi, Tusshar Kapoor and a few others enlightened the stage. In 2012, they had Punjabi International Artist Jazzy-B along with Ramji Gulati. On 12 December 2012, they had an Electronic Dance Music night, with a line up; DJ Anish Sood B2B Lost Stories, opened by DJ SHAAN. This festival is organized by the students of Mithibai College, The Core Committee, Committee Members and Volunteers (approximately 600 students) are a part of it. 19 Department's of Mithibai Kshitij are divided into two types; Admin and Events, which mainly consists of Marketing, Public Relations, Computers, Performing Arts, Literary Arts, Film Fest, Pro-nites etc.
Mithibai Kshitij has started a trend of international female EDM artists since 2013. DJ Teri Miko (2013), DJ Da Candy (2014), DJ Sheherezade (2015). It has also promoted many Bollywood movies till date; The Dirty Picture, Jackpot (the 2013 film), Krrish 3, Heartless, Badlapur, Baaji, Brothers(2015), Shaandar, Angry Indian Goddesses are some of them.
It was launched by Hrithik Roshan and Priyanka Chopra in 2013 and by Akshay Kumar, Siddharth Malhotra and Jacqueline Fernandez in 2015. Both the launches were in the form of a talk show which was hosted by film critic Rajeev Masand and broadcast by CNN IBN. The theme of the festival in 2015 was launched by Shahid Kapoor and Alia Bhatt along with the launch of their song "Shaam Shaandar" from the film Shaandaar.
National Cadet Corps Brave Hearts
During the academic year 2002-2003 the enrolment was 20 for boys and girls. The college had 4 cadets in III year, 6 cadets II year and 10 cadets in the I year. Mithibai's girl cadets Ms. Simi Sound attended Group Selection Pre-RDC and RDC camp at Mumbai, Ahmednagar and Delhi. The five cadets attended various camps during the year. Almost all the cadets have cleared the B-Certificate or the C-Certificate examination of the NCC.
National Service Scheme
The National Service Scheme, with its three pillars of Seva, Sadbhavana and Satkarma, works with social projects and has also played a major role in upholding the down trodden and disaster stricken and instills moral values in its members. The motto of the scheme is to evoke in every individual the feeling of ‘Not me, But you' and involve college youth in social service.
The college has duly constituted Students' Council with Principal as Chairman, one lecturer nominated by the Principal, NCC officer, NSS programme officer, Director of Sports, One meritorious student from each class and outstanding student from each of the following activities NSS, Sports, NCC, cultural activities and two female students nominated by the Principal. Tenure of the Students' Council is one academic year.
- Prakriti Kakar Indian Singer
- Suhasi Dhami Indian Actress
- Digangana Suryavanshi Indian Actress
- Bobby Deol, Indian Actor
- Esha Deol, Indian Actress
- Ajay Devgan, Indian Actor
- Ashutosh Gowarikar, Indian Film Director
- Rakhi Sawant, Indian Actress
- Avadhoot Gupte, Music Director and Singer
- Jyothika, Indian Actress
- Kajol, Indian Actress
- Ekta Kapoor, Indian Film and Television Producer
- Kareena Kapoor, Indian Actress
- Shahid Kapoor, Indian Actor
- Boman Irani, Indian Actor
- Rani Mukerji, Indian Actress
- Karan Patel, Indian Actor
- Renuka Shahane, Indian Actress
- Vatsal Sheth, Indian Actor
- Namrata Shirodkar, Indian Actress
- Shreyas Talpade, Indian Actor
- Raveena Tandon, Indian Actress
- Rahul Vaidya, Indian Actor
- Satish Rajwade, Marathi Film Director
- Mohsin Khan (actor)
- Jubin Nautiyal,Singer
- Fatima Sana Shaikh, Indian Actress
- Abhinay berde, Indian Actor
- Rahul Kamerkar, Indian lawyer and author
- Rishit Panchal, Indian Entrepreneur and Physicist
- Ayush Mehra,Indian Actor
- "Mithibai College". www.mithibai.ac.in. Retrieved 5 August 2019.
- "Mithibai, Jai Hind in Mumbai buckle up to begin their journey as autonomous colleges". Hindustan Times. 2 April 2018. Retrieved 5 August 2019.
- India Education: Mithibai College Archived 19 August 2004 at the Wayback Machine
- "Mithibai fest Kshitij gets a dirty start with Vidya Balan". DNA India. 2 December 2011.
- Davis, Maggie (5 August 2015). "Brothers promotion: Akshay Kumar, Jacqueline Fernandez and Sidharth Malhotra at Mithibai College". India.com.
- "Shahid Kapoor and Alia Bhatt launch Shaam Shaandaar at Mithibai College festival - view HQ pics! | Bollywood Life". www.bollywoodlife.com. 17 September 2015.